1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

what pickup is my style? (P-Pick up)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by kim do yeon, Mar 16, 2004.

1. kim do yeon

kim do yeon

Sep 6, 2003
    I love P-sound with 62 original p-pickup.

but I want more solid/tight(FOR well heard it in mixed band music!)), clarity, bottom-end sound. but not losing the P sound.

What pick up is sufficient me? (in passive pick up)

2. Change strings

3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I agree.

4. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Stainless steel strings. A compressor will also accomplish this.

5. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    A Nordstrand NP4, along with Thomastik jazz flats does it for me. :hyper:

6. I'm coming to the conclusion that TI Flats are very "middy" for me. I've been through 3 pickups on my P now, but all with TI Flats installed.

I don't have the thump I want, nor do I have that huge, deep P-like bottom. The Duncan SPB-2 accentuated the mid-range to where it sounded like the Mids control turned all the way up on my IOD. I replaced it with the current DiMarzio DM146, but I still have a lot of mids.

I'm going to move away from TI Flats and try the set of DA Chrome Flats I have in stock, and eventually the LaBella Deep Talkin' Flats everybody says has that huge bottom.

As for the pickup, the more I tinker with this, the more the '62 sound comes from avoiding the "hot" overwound pickups such as the SPB-2 and QuarterPounders, and sticking with low output "vintage" types, such as the SPB-1.

I think strings are a huge factor in finding your sound.