what pickup is my style? (P-Pick up)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by kim do yeon, Mar 16, 2004.

1. kim do yeon

kim do yeon

Sep 6, 2003
    I love P-sound with 62 original p-pickup.

but I want more solid/tight(FOR well heard it in mixed band music!)), clarity, bottom-end sound. but not losing the P sound.

What pick up is sufficient me? (in passive pick up)
  2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I agree.
  3. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Stainless steel strings. A compressor will also accomplish this.
  4. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    A Nordstrand NP4, along with Thomastik jazz flats does it for me. :hyper:
  5. I'm coming to the conclusion that TI Flats are very "middy" for me. I've been through 3 pickups on my P now, but all with TI Flats installed.

I don't have the thump I want, nor do I have that huge, deep P-like bottom. The Duncan SPB-2 accentuated the mid-range to where it sounded like the Mids control turned all the way up on my IOD. I replaced it with the current DiMarzio DM146, but I still have a lot of mids.

I'm going to move away from TI Flats and try the set of DA Chrome Flats I have in stock, and eventually the Labella Deep Talkin' Flats everybody says has that huge bottom.

As for the pickup, the more I tinker with this, the more the '62 sound comes from avoiding the "hot" overwound pickups such as the SPB-2 and QuarterPounders, and sticking with low output "vintage" types, such as the SPB-1.

I think strings are a huge factor in finding your sound.