what pickup should I go with?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by phattybass, Feb 1, 2003.

1. phattybass

Dec 12, 2002
    Hey! I'm looking at different pickups and electronics options for upgrading my own pickups and electronics in my Ibanex Soundgear (5 string). I have a friend who installed EMG pickups and their active 3 band parametric mid eq system and he loves it. I've played it too and it's great. I, however, am interested in Bartolini pickups. I would like a sweepable mid, but Bartolini only offers a 3 way mid switch. Not that it would be useless or anything. I'm sure that Bartolini has their reasons. And I also like the fact that Bartolini offers a passive/active switch as well (EMG doesn't).
    I'm looking for a very versatile system for my Bass. I like to be able to conjure up all kinds of tones. Any advice as to which system is better or has a better reputation would be very helpful. thankyou very much.
  2. the j retro offered by east do a non j configuration which gives
    bass. sweep mid treble vol pan and active passive switching....
    j retro forum..good luck
  3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I belive that Ibanez has "soapbar" type pickups. I would recomend some sort of EMG's. Barts are over rated muddy crap IMO.Of course, alot of people like them. But I like full mid sweep, and more tones.