What pickup would you add to a Kalamazoo bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rock-wannabe, Jul 23, 2018.

1. rock-wannabe

rock-wannabe

Sep 3, 2004
    Hi guys, I’ve recently picked up a Kalamazoo Sg shaped bass with original mud-bucker pickup that plays fantastic.

The only issue is the pickguard is crumbling and I’d like to make it a bit more versatile for recording.

I am in half a mind to add a second pickup with a blend knob when I cut a new pickguard...I just wanted opinions on good pickguard mountable pickup that is fairly small. I don’t want to modify the body.

Cheers guys!

cataract likes this.
  2. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Linnin, funkinbottom and Haroldo like this.
  3. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    Get a replacement pickup wound to more friendly specs. Curtis Novak would wind you something like a cooler humbucker or Bisonic/Darkstar clone in a Mudbucker cover. That might be all you need?

4. rock-wannabe

rock-wannabe

Sep 3, 2004
    I just experimented with moving the original neck pickup closer to the bridge and along with brighter strings. I’ve managed to get quite a nice tone out of it that is still quite boomy but not as dark. I’ll be making a replacement pickguard over the weekend.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    cataract and ctmullins like this.
  5. ctmullins

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    Very nice. So the body came with a swimming pool route?

rock-wannabe and cataract like this.
  6. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Columbia SC
    Affirmative //
    E48F344B-1EBD-44B5-A9FD-70A5E1182255.jpeg
    Pretty convenient! This thread is great. I have a KB-1 as well and have been thinking I want to add a second pickup as well.

Attached Files:

rock-wannabe and ctmullins like this.
  7. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    That is a huge route for the job required. I wonder if Gibson were experimenting with different pickup locations during the prototype stage, and simply kept this testbed routing in the final product?

rock-wannabe likes this.
  8. I think it was the same body for guitars and basses. They just installed the appropriate pickguard, bridge and neck.

rock-wannabe and Axstar like this.
  9. rock-wannabe

rock-wannabe

Sep 3, 2004
    C26112A0-3556-4876-8310-E5FD9AD38302.jpeg I’m still waiting on my new screws to
    Arrive and I need to neaten up and
    Round the edges of the pickguard but it is getting there! I had to shim the neck a little too, but it sounds great and has a lovely low action!

davelowell2, cataract and Axstar like this.
  10. ctmullins

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    Nice! I love the fact that it’s a mod with significant tonal change, yet still fully reversible. :thumbsup:

cataract and rock-wannabe like this.
  11. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Columbia SC
    Holy smokes- that’s sharp!!

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021