What pickup would you add to a Kalamazoo bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rock-wannabe, Jul 23, 2018.

1. rock-wannabe

rock-wannabe

Sep 3, 2004
    Hi guys, I’ve recently picked up a Kalamazoo Sg shaped bass with original mud-bucker pickup that plays fantastic.

The only issue is the pickguard is crumbling and I’d like to make it a bit more versatile for recording.

I am in half a mind to add a second pickup with a blend knob when I cut a new pickguard...I just wanted opinions on good pickguard mountable pickup that is fairly small. I don’t want to modify the body.

Cheers guys!

cataract likes this.
  2. ctmullins

ctmullins Dominated Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Linnin, funkinbottom and Haroldo like this.
  3. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    Get a replacement pickup wound to more friendly specs. Curtis Novak would wind you something like a cooler humbucker or Bisonic/Darkstar clone in a Mudbucker cover. That might be all you need?

4. rock-wannabe

rock-wannabe

Sep 3, 2004
    I just experimented with moving the original neck pickup closer to the bridge and along with brighter strings. I’ve managed to get quite a nice tone out of it that is still quite boomy but not as dark. I’ll be making a replacement pickguard over the weekend.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    cataract and ctmullins like this.
  5. ctmullins

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    Very nice. So the body came with a swimming pool route?

rock-wannabe and cataract like this.
  6. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Columbia SC
    Affirmative //
    E48F344B-1EBD-44B5-A9FD-70A5E1182255.jpeg
    Pretty convenient! This thread is great. I have a KB-1 as well and have been thinking I want to add a second pickup as well.

Attached Files:

rock-wannabe and ctmullins like this.
  7. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    That is a huge route for the job required. I wonder if Gibson were experimenting with different pickup locations during the prototype stage, and simply kept this testbed routing in the final product?

rock-wannabe likes this.
  8. I think it was the same body for guitars and basses. They just installed the appropriate pickguard, bridge and neck.

rock-wannabe and Axstar like this.
  9. rock-wannabe

rock-wannabe

Sep 3, 2004
    C26112A0-3556-4876-8310-E5FD9AD38302.jpeg I’m still waiting on my new screws to
    Arrive and I need to neaten up and
    Round the edges of the pickguard but it is getting there! I had to shim the neck a little too, but it sounds great and has a lovely low action!

davelowell2, cataract and Axstar like this.
  10. ctmullins

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    Nice! I love the fact that it’s a mod with significant tonal change, yet still fully reversible. :thumbsup:

cataract and rock-wannabe like this.
  11. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Columbia SC
    Holy smokes- that’s sharp!!