What pickups did Cliff Burton use in his Aria?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SpawnOfCliff, Oct 10, 2005.

1. SpawnOfCliff

Sep 1, 2005
    Title is pretty self explainatory, I know Cliff Burton's pickups were different than the stock pickups in the IGB40 models now, but what are they? And can I get a link to a good site to buy them from?
  2. willkt6

Sep 27, 2005
    I heard he used Bartolini MK pickups, but I may be wrong
  3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I'm hoping you're joking. Bart MK's weren't around at that time, they only came out in last couple of years
  4. SpawnOfCliff

Sep 1, 2005
    Well...I wanna know cause I wanna get the same tone as Cliff Burton...
  5. From what I've read about Cliff smashing his Arias, I'd say that he didn't bother customizing them...

Whatever stock pups were his Aria Pro II's in the 80's would be my guess.
  6. just some info Spawn of cliff it doesnt take musch to re-incarnate his tone if you want it EXACT

RICKENBACKER----Mesa 400 all tube amp-Big muff pi distortion pedal

pretty much any bass with big muff and some bass boost will do it
  7. willkt6

Sep 27, 2005
    I wasnt joking, i'd just heard it somewhere
  8. Cliff used the Aria Pro II sb-1000 and I'm pretty sure it was stock. They have a reissue out the sb-1000ri or something like that but I don't know if you can get it in North America. He also used a modified Rickenbacker on Kill 'em All but since you are asking about Arias I'm assuming you're after the Ride The Lightning/Master Of Puppets sound. If you are wondering about effects he used a green Sovtek Big Muff pi and a chrome Morley Power Wah Boost.
  9. CeeJ

Jul 8, 2004
    EL A
    Cliff used stock pups or at least stock covered ~ (could have been custom wound at Aria)from all of the pics that I've looked at over the years.
    I bought one of the last reissues they had. You had to special order it through an Aria dealer. They're not in the 05' catalog either. They really didn't make very many and while there were ads in Bass Player they were small 1/8 page ads.
    I know there was an ad for it in the Bass Player Magazine Cliff Burton issue, but they didn't say that it was actually a "CLIFF BURTON," reissue. It was only described as:

"The Aria SB-1000RI -
    a specially crafted
    detailed re-issue of
    one of the most
    famous basses
    in rock history.
    In Oak, or See-Thru
    Black finish

Available at authorized
    Aria Dealers for
    a limited time."

First off~ the bass in NOT "See-Thru," Black.
    It's just plain ole' high gloss BLACK.

Second~ NOWHERE do they state that it's a CLIFF BURTON reissue.

Third~ They used a Gotoh bridge instead of their old Brass Aria bridges.

Fourth~ The Japanese site had them listed as SB-1000CBRI's and they had a
    different version sold exclusively in Japan which had the OVAL with black center dot makers. They NEVER specifically stated ANYWHERE on the Japanese site that it was a CLIFF BURTON either.

You either had to have read bass mags and knew what you were looking at, stumbled into one at a mom & pop store or smaller music chain store that randomly had it to even see one.

There was ONE listed on Ebay right when they first shipped from Aria and none have popped up since as far as I've seen ( Aria was on my daily bass check for well over a year looking for a Black ~n~ Gold SB1000 that didn't go for insan-o coin and I saw NOTHING even for stupid cash).

I have mine displayed, but I've never even played it. Never been plugged in. It's just that bad ass. I paid 1900.00 for it after tax w/ a gig bag.

@ SpawnofCliff:
    If you really want Cliffs sound... PM me and I give you the specs or a scan of the ad etc. I might be willing to sell it if the offer is fair.
    (NOTE For moderator - not piggybacking or whatever...)
    I will be listing it in the classifieds section once I have taken and uploaded some pics (tonight or tomorrow night at the latest. Just bought two five strings that I need and the decoration (however mighty) needs to go.

10. SpawnOfCliff

Sep 1, 2005
    Well, if they were stock pickups...does anyone know where I can get those?

And yes, i'm trying to recreate the Ride the Lightning sound a little more than any other (although he did use his Aria a little during the Kill 'Em All days).

Im going for pickups because I sure as hell can't afford a ****ing Mesa....
  11. CeeJ

Jul 8, 2004
    EL A
    I used to use Mesa 400+ heads.
    They really are amazing. If you do some research you can know what to look for in a USED 400 or 400+. They're available all the time for between 700-850. I've seen them on MANY online ads, then there is Ebay. They go in that range also. Having owned them I can tell you that they are TANKS, but that said, htey're BUILT like tanks! Also anything in them can be easily replaced by boogie. They have the store in Hollywood across from Guitar Center and they guys over there RULE! They also have used mesa stuff in stock all the time. Google them and call the Hollywood store and talk to them, they're happy to tell you anything you want to know.
    I believe they have a layaway plan too. Just a few thoughts for your sound...

Good Luck~

12. mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    i visited them last month. they didnt have a single Mesa cab used :(