Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What pickups do you use in your fretless????

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by FractalUniverse, May 12, 2002.

1. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    Just wanted to know, cause i want to try some new pickups(maybe barts). So give a lot of opinions about yours..... and if you recommend me good jstyle pickups for fretless that would be good too.

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I have a Warwick Thumb and last year fitted the Alembic PVF system. It consists on two J pickups (if you buy the J version) a volume pan and lo-pass filter. RRP is $400 :eek:

The low pass filter seems to work very well with fretless. At full it's too bright and at min it's too dull. It takes some time to get used to.

3. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

magnetics: passives. The hotter the better. DiMarzio Split-P and
    Ultra-Jazz set. Haven't had a chance to install the Ultra-J's yet :mad:.
    Oh! :eek: I found an online shop in Germany that sells the X2N-b.
    Can't wait to try that in somethin'. Talk about a hot passive pup.
    Roughly &frac12 Volt output.

piezos: I'm happy with Fishman Acoustic Matrix' (Natural I & II).
    Wouldn't mind tryin' a Highlander IP-2 with some sorta' mic, or a
    Schertler Electrodynamic transducer thingie also :).

4. I'm going to take a chance on the DiMarzio Model J for my MIM fretless.

These are a 1979 patent, but are humbucking as a bi-lateral coil pair rather than stacked. There is only one part number so it will be interesting to see how this works with the 0.1" wider bridge pickup. I'm guessing I'll have to slightly open up the pick guard on the neck pickup.

DiMarzio specifically states these are intended for fretless basses.

5. Soloing the bridge pickup with a single coil "J" style pickup for the real "mwah" you're going to run into buzz and hum issues. It's better to go humbucker if you can or "linear" single coil. I just bought a "linear" J from Joe Zon for my Zon Sonus fretless as the regular Bart J was too loud for recording. Joe promises me that it's dead quiet. I'll get back to everyone when it's installed.

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I have a set of Bartolini 9J's in my MIM Jazz. Smoooth. :) I find myself soloing the bridge pickup (look ma, no hum!) more than I ever did with the stock pickups.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The Barts that came in them. Mini-soapbars in the Pedulla ThunderBass 5, they growl like a mofo. One J and one MM in the Lakland 55-94 Deluxe. More refined, add mid EQ for growl.

[​IMG]

8. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    P/J stock Barts in the Pedulla Pentabuzz.

9. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Bartolini used to make a version of their Jazz Quad Coil pickups specifically designed for fretless. I just looked on their web page and they don't have them (or any quad coil) listed anymore. I hope they didn't discontinue them, I was planning on trying them on my fretless. The model numbers were 9W4J for 4 string, and 9W5J74 for 5. Does anyone know what happened to them?

10. john b carvalho

john b carvalho Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2001
    Kaneohe,Hawaii
    I recently replaced (in december) the p-up's on my Carvin LB-20 with the Bart 9W4J.The results where immediate & what I was looking for.More mwah & output then the originals.And very easy to install.Showdown I purchased mine from Dan @ Dan's Guitar,only had to wait 3 weeks.

Aloha

11. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Great, I'll go there next time I'm in town. Thanks, for the info. Your name sounds familiar, are you playing with anyone I might know?

Aloha,

John (Showdown)

12. john b carvalho

john b carvalho Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2001
    Kaneohe,Hawaii
    Showdown,I am not actively involved with any project/band at this time & don't really get out and jam much anymore.Thats not to say that I do not play/practice at home.I would like too at least get together with other musicians more often.Checked your bands website out & see that you have a gig this weekend in Kailua,if I can I may try to check you guys out.

Aloha

13. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Great. If you make it to the gig be sure to say hi, I'd like to meet another Talkbass member...

Aloha

14. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    Barts made specially for fretless!!!!...... that sound cool, can someone tell me how are this pickups designed or how do they work, and how much are they???
    -Another thing: Since i've never changed pickups on my bass or bought new ones can someone tell me: a) My bass has 2 passive pickups, that sounds really cool, but they worked better when my bass was fretted. If i buy an active j pickup, im supposed to have installed on my bass 1 passive and 1 active pup?????

15. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    No, you should have both active, or both passive. Here is how it generally works: you can have active pickups (with a circuit right on the pickup) like EMGs, or you can get passive like Barts, and install an active preamp with them, or just leave them passive. Even with the EMGs, you would still usually install an active preamp with them (their preamps and pickups are designed to use the same battery). You could install the Barts without the preamp and still have a passive bass. The only thing is, from your picture I can see that your bass has soapbar pickups - J pickups aren't direct replacements for them. Bartolini makes soapbar pickups, though, but I don't think you can get the pickup designed for fretless in a soapbar. Here is the link to Bartolinis web page : Bartolini

I hope this didn't just confuse you more...:D

16. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    no, now i see it clearer. So i can have the passive pickups, and buy an active preamp, that sounds cool too..... erhhhmmmmm..... i think i'm still confused.... so i have soapbars..... and that means no fretless specially designed pickups, that's bad........ so.... can i fit j pups on my bass??? or do you recommend me nice soapbars for my bass???

17. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    It would be hard to put the Jazz pickups in your bass. You would have to fill the old holes with wood, then rout new holes the right size, then refinish the bass. Possible, but I definately wouldn't recommend it. The Bartolini soapbar pickups are very good, and they probably have a size to fit your bass (you can measure them and then check the Bartolini web site). They may not be designed specifically for fretless, but many fretless basses (including some very expensive ones) come standard with them. You can still get a very good sound out of them. I've never heard a fretless with the special fretless pickups in it, but I assume that the main difference is that they are voiced to bring out the mwah. You can do the same thing with EQ. I have a Boss GEB-7 EQ pedal, and if I boost the 800hz band it really brings out the mwah. Try EQ, and see if you can get the sound you want with your pickups. If not, get the Bart soapbar and I don't think you will be sorry.

18. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    ok, i think i have understood the whole thing, thanks to everyone that gave me some help with this question.

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Those soapbars look about the same size as the ones in my Pedulla (the red-orange flame top above). These are monster-sounding Barts. Try to get your hands on a set o' them puppies.