Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What pickups for a five string jazz?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Niskamies, Sep 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    I am getting a custom 5-sring jazz, but can't decide the pickups. Whats it going to be? Dimarzio Ultra Jazz 5? Seymour Duncan 67/70? Looking for the bridge pikup growl ala Jaco, but also for a good rock tone in the neck pickup.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    single coil / hum cancelling?
    covered/exposed pole pieces?

also, what size pickup routes will you have? There's no one standard for five string jazz pickups, so it can restrict your choices if you have routes done already.

I'd suggest a good place to start would be the thread stickied at the top of the forum, which has a lot of J reviews. Also, user luknfur has a good review thread too: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123790

3. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    Exposed pole peases definitely. Otherwise it is the same, as long as they sound good. No routings have been done yet.

4. Mika

Mika Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Some more choices:

- Nordstrand
    - Lindy Fralin
    - Rio Grande

A search would help you quite a bit.

5. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I would vote for the Nordstrands. Jaco primarily used early 60's jazz basses. If you want that kind of tone IMHO, go for the Nordstrands.

6. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    If you want single coils, the Nordstrand would be a very good option. Barts have a good growl, but they aren't exposed.

7. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Hey there, I'm just curious. The Lindy Fralins are listed too. I've never heard Fralin pickups before, but I know they're good. Do you have any experiences with them? How would you compare them to the Nordstrands? I always recommend Nordstrands, because I have them in a P/J bass, and I love them!

8. I dont know about Nordstrand .. But Fralins nail the 60's tone!

9. Mika

Mika Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    I have no experience with the pickups I listed, I just posted some options with the exposed polepieces... :ninja:

The Bart 59J1 set is nice and growly, and the dual in-line humbucker configuration is dead quiet when soloed.

10. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Actually, I haven't tried the Fralins. About the only J I haven't tried at one point or another :)

If the Aero 5's are as good as their four string equivalent then those are a good candidate too.

11. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Take a look at the huge J-review thread at the top of the forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.