Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What pickups for fretless????

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by FractalUniverse, Mar 16, 2002.

1. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    What pickups for fretless???? i just want to know

2. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines has a pickup system designed specifically for fretless basses.

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Hmm... maybe you could be a tad more specific? Are you building a bass or replacing some stock pickups? What kind of pickups are they? (J, P, Soapbar, etc.) What kind of sound are you looking for? Do you have a limited budget? The more detailed the question, the more detailed the answer. :)

4. joon

joon

Mar 16, 2002
    Manila, Philippines
    Hi, this is my first post in this forum, so pardon my newbie-ness...

I'm also trying to build a fretless bass guitar. First off, I have a really cheapo bass which I bought for around US$60 (equiv. currency). I defretted it pretty well, and now my problem is what pickup to replace it with. It has a P-J setup, btw.

Now I already researched for a good few days, and narrowed down my choices to the following:

- SD SPB-1 Vintage for P-Bass
    - SD SPB-2 Hot for P-Bass
    - APB-2 Lightnin' Rods Active P-Bass Pickup

I generally play rock/funk/jam, but I'm also learning jazz (bebop!) so I want the bass to be suitable for jazz too in the future when I'm proficient enough for it.

A friend told me to use active pickups for the fretless. So for the active I'd like the APB-2. However, I'm contemplating whether to use just a passive pickup, and just combine it with a Boss GEB-7 Bass EQ, sort of a substitute for the active pickup's preamp.

So if passive, which one has more versatility? I've been hearing a lot of raves about the SPB-2, but I'm afraid it might be too strong for the type of music I'm playing?

I'm also considering the Fender Original '62 P-Bass Pickup, sort of a counterpart for the SPB-1.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm really at a loss on which one to get. And thanks in advance! :)

5. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    I'm replacing them.
    I like the sound that manring takes out from his fretless (a lot of mids) specially in the song febrile from his group Attention Defficit.
    Anyway i would love to have bartollinis on my fretless, but i don't know which ones.

6. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I would love to hear the opinions on what would be some good choices for a MIJ Fender Standard Jazz Fretless with a rosewood board. I plan to add an active preamp to it at some point also. I like to have a good set of passive pups. I haven't tried a lot of different sets but I do like the "Noiseless" pups on my Deluxe Jazz.