What pickups for fretless????

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by FractalUniverse, Mar 16, 2002.

1. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    What pickups for fretless???? i just want to know
  2. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines has a pickup system designed specifically for fretless basses.
  3. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Hmm... maybe you could be a tad more specific? Are you building a bass or replacing some stock pickups? What kind of pickups are they? (J, P, Soapbar, etc.) What kind of sound are you looking for? Do you have a limited budget? The more detailed the question, the more detailed the answer. :)
  4. joon

Mar 16, 2002
    Manila, Philippines
    Hi, this is my first post in this forum, so pardon my newbie-ness...

I'm also trying to build a fretless bass guitar. First off, I have a really cheapo bass which I bought for around US$60 (equiv. currency). I defretted it pretty well, and now my problem is what pickup to replace it with. It has a P-J setup, btw.

Now I already researched for a good few days, and narrowed down my choices to the following:

- SD SPB-1 Vintage for P-Bass
    - SD SPB-2 Hot for P-Bass
    - APB-2 Lightnin' Rods Active P-Bass Pickup

I generally play rock/funk/jam, but I'm also learning jazz (bebop!) so I want the bass to be suitable for jazz too in the future when I'm proficient enough for it.

A friend told me to use active pickups for the fretless. So for the active I'd like the APB-2. However, I'm contemplating whether to use just a passive pickup, and just combine it with a Boss GEB-7 Bass EQ, sort of a substitute for the active pickup's preamp.

So if passive, which one has more versatility? I've been hearing a lot of raves about the SPB-2, but I'm afraid it might be too strong for the type of music I'm playing?

I'm also considering the Fender Original '62 P-Bass Pickup, sort of a counterpart for the SPB-1.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm really at a loss on which one to get. And thanks in advance! :)
  5. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    I'm replacing them.
    I like the sound that manring takes out from his fretless (a lot of mids) specially in the song febrile from his group Attention Defficit.
    Anyway i would love to have bartollinis on my fretless, but i don't know which ones.
  6. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I would love to hear the opinions on what would be some good choices for a MIJ Fender Standard Jazz Fretless with a rosewood board. I plan to add an active preamp to it at some point also. I like to have a good set of passive pups. I haven't tried a lot of different sets but I do like the "Noiseless" pups on my Deluxe Jazz.