Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What pickups for Hohner B bass V

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Nick Gann, Nov 10, 2002.

1. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I need some new pickups for my bass. It is a hohner B bass V 5 string. The hohner website just says that the pickups are "2 designed by EMG J style humbuckers". It doesn't give any specs on them, so I don't know what size or model they are.

I need to get some replacements, and I don't know what.

If there is more information that anyone else needs to know, ask and I will try to find out. Thanks to all who help me out.

Nick

2. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Can anyone even tell me the info I need to know to find an apporpriate replacement pair?

Thanks.

3. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    anyone?

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    All I know is that Hohner used Select by EMG pickups.

You can measure them and try to find a fitting replacement.

5. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    The neck pickup is 9.1cm long, 1.7cm wide.
    The bridge pickup is 9.4 cm long, 1.7 cm wide.

The neck pickup is a jazz shaped humbucker (parallel to the neck), and the bridge pickup is a jazz shaped humbucker slanted with the bass side towards the bridge.

I will start looking around for same size replacements. In the mean time, anyone have any suggestions?

JMX-
    thanks for replying, I didn't think anyone would :rolleyes:

6. Bartolini jazz pups (4 string) and Basslines jazz pups are the only ones that I could find exact measurements are in just a few minutes searching. However, neither of them are exact. Why not email EMG emgtek@emginc.com and ask them their sizes. I think JMX is on the right track EMG...Hohner used them, why not get new ones from them. Unless you are tired of the sound...even then, true EMGs might be the ticket.

7. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Thanks. I was looking around too. the string spacing on my bass is so small that it uses 4 string pickups :rolleyes:

I think I am gonna get the Bartolini jazz pair. I was thinking of them before anyways, and now that i did the measurements and stuff, after double checking the bart site and the bass itself, I think I am gonna do that.

Only one problem... there are no bartolini dealers in my state :rolleyes:

of all the luck...

8. I'm in your neck of the woods, too...kind of a dead zone as far as equipment goes sometimes. Guitar Center is a Bartolini dealer. Also, the Mars Music near Baltimore (1959 E. Joppa Road, Parkville, MD 21234) had a set of Bartolinis for about $60 when I was in there last Saturday. Its only about 45 minutes away. Good luck.

9. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Thanks a lot! I will call up the Guitar Center in rockville and see if they can help me out.