1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what pickups have nice high output?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by anonymous278347457, Mar 25, 2006.

1. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    The pickups in my MIM are stock and they dont seem very "hot", barely enough to drive my 2 diode onboard distortion.

currently im looing at the seymour duncan SJB-2 and dimarzio ultra jazz, or some sort of active EMG

also i heard the antiquity II is quite good, but im not sure about the output on that one.

can you guys give me some advice

btw. Im in the UK and i prefer to avoid importing anything unless i must

2. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    well, if you don't mind a battery, emgs are great. BUT, i suggest trying a set first. because they have a "love it or hate it" kind of sound.

bartolini's are NEVER a bad choice, but only sometimes the BEST choice. they make both active and passive, both with high output.

i know you don't want to import, but Villex (www.villex.com) makes passive pups with the output and clairty of actives, and a mid range attenuator withoutany batteries. pretty amazing stuff.

3. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    anyone have any other suggestions?

4. Look at the DiMarzio Model J's, im away to stick one along with a model P in a PJ bass i have

5. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    My Aero single coils are pretty loud and aggressive.

6. DiMarzio Ultra Jazz have a nice tone, but a very low output.

7. Definitely DiMarzio Model J´s and P (both passive).

8. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    A few other options to consider if you like the tone you have now is to add a preamp, preferably one with adjutable boost so you can dial in just how much it drives the distorion. Or you can do the series mod (search for series and you'll find a million threads) which will give you a much louder signal with both pickups full on.

9. Those Rio Grande J pickups are the hottest I have tried. They sound good too, but the first thing I noticed was that they were really hot.

10. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch.

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    dude.........seymore duncan quarter pounds are incredibly hot....these things roar.....some of the most aggressive J pups I've used.....check out the seymore duncan webpage for specs on the outputs......

11. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    I've used pretty much every pickup out there and the higher outputs come from Dimarzio J's (not the ultrajazz) and Aero.