1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

what pickups in an 08 fender am std p bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by drewphishes, Jan 24, 2018.

1. drewphishes

drewphishes Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2017
    Philly
    what kind of pickups came standard in these? I know the custom shop 62 started in 2012 so not sure what is in there now

was thinking of dropping a pure vintage 63 pickup in there and just wanted to make sure its not the same as the one in there now

2. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    08 am std p bass pickups are Fender part # 0061276000 and 0061277000 i don't know why there are 2 part numbers. it's listed this way on the parts list i got from fender
    pure vintage 63 are Fender part # 0992241000

3. drewphishes

Feb 14, 2017
    Philly
    cool gonna get the new pickup and drop it in

4. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    They should look like this.............
    upload_2018-1-24_14-57-42.

I can't remember what the Fender manual says about height adjustment but the adjustment is different than the standard alnico 5 pickups. Seems like they are to be up a wee bit higher.

I'm sure it's an easy find with Google.

5. drewphishes

Feb 14, 2017
    Philly
    these are in the 08?

6. bassdude51

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Yeah, these should be your pickups according to a Google search for '08 P pickups. I bought a set of these years back. They had round edges like in the photo. I had no problems with the sound, they sounded good to me. I can't remember what became of the bass or pickups. I buy and sell a lot.

7. drewphishes

Feb 14, 2017
    Philly
    Yea I think they sound good too but I want an even better sound lol. And i love the pv 63 tone ive heard

8. bassdude51

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    The Fender Pure Vintage '63 is a bit on the hot side. Nearly 12 K ohm. A so called normal P pickup is around 10.5 K. A hotter p/u has more output, stronger mids but definition starts to suffer a bit and the high end rolls off somewhat.

9. drewphishes

Feb 14, 2017
    Philly
    well ill give it a go and then see

10. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    I had am '08 P - I seem to recall they were the same as the "Original '62" pickup, but I may be wrong.