Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What pickups/preamp for Stingray5 ????

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by afroman, Oct 7, 2004.

1. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I know this has been asked dozens of times, and I've read all of the posts, but yet again...

I love the feel of my Stingay5 and I have recorded with it with good results. But I've never been 100% pleased with it's sound.
    I love it's punch and authority, but I dislike the brittle highs and the sound is "too dirty" for my needs sometimes.

I use a BBE Bmax + Carvin DCM1500 + Aguilar 410 or 2 112's.
    I also own a Lakland 55-01 with upgraded Bart pup's and preamp, which sounds very mellow and "neutral" if you will.

I want to change the pickups and/or preamp to get a warmer, cleaner sound if needed, but wo losing hte punch. I love the sound of Tobias Growler basses, but I don't know if puting Bart on the SR5 is going to produce a similar sound or get too far away from the SR sound. (cause Growler's Barts are 4-coil and SR5 are 3-coils)

I have a MIJ Geggy Lee w. Ultra jazz pup's w. series/parallel swithcing, and the growl I get from the bridge pup is more to my liking than the SR, it's cleaner but has authority and growls as hell.
    What sould I do?
    Any help you can give me is welcome.
    Thanks...

2. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Here is what I did:

Aguilar OBP-3 with a Seymour Duncan MM5 Alnico replacement. Added the mid selector switch to your liking and a push/pull active passive pot.

Smooth, crystal clear highs, nice punchy lows and smooth mids. Its like a vintage stingray, but more "open".. In a live situation, it cuts through like butter.

There is something about the Alnico magnet that sounds incredible, to me. Even in passive mode, it sounds great.

I think this setup would do you justice. I like a full, punchy tone, and I get it with this.

3. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks...

Where did you get the MM5 pickup?
    I need the 3-coil pickup since my SR5 is post 1996.
    I know the basslines website has the 3-coil option but I e-mailed them months ago asking for pricing and I never got an answer.

My SR5 also had the D and G string quieter than the others. I had the neck and action setup and it helped a lot, but it's still not quite there. has anybody has did problem and how did you fix it?

Anybody else has some comments???
    Help please...

4. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    PLease somebody else, help!!!!!!!

The more I play my Geddy Lee jazz (w. Ultra jazz pickups) and my Lakland 55-01 (w. Barts), the less I like the sound of the Stingray 5.

This sounds strange, but to me the Stingray sounds too "electric". The others sound like bass, round, full, punchy and mellow. The SR5 is punchy but i dislike the brittle highs and the sound is getting less likable for me recently.

I'm thinking of replacing the pups and pre-amp
    Please suggest some good options and the sound that your choice provides.
    Thanks...

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I did a replacement job on a stingray 4 using the basslines Alnico MM pickup and preamp combination.
    I thought it sounded much warmer on the low end, and less harsh on the high end, when installed.
    I got mine from black rose custom - http://www.blackrosecustom.emerchantpro.com/
    They have the lowest prices I've seen on SD stuff