Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What pickups should I get for my -76 Jazzbass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Braxen, Apr 14, 2001.

1. Braxen

Braxen

Apr 5, 2001
    Sweden
    Hey (again...2nd thread...)

I had 2 EMGs (active) on my Fender Jazz -76, but now one of them has gone kaputtski. It´s dead as Elvis.

So at the moment I´m using the leftover EMG, and a "Select" (not active) pickup...

It´s sounds ok, but it lacks some PUNCH!

ANy suggestions to what I should buy to get a bit more punch and "hi-tech" sound than the "boom-boom-booom" sound I have now? (thanks to the CRAPPY select pickup)

Thanx!

ps. I play funk, slap, rock...but want to be able to play jazz and other music as well...iow not TO hi-tech. :) ds.

2. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    yep, go to you're local music store and get a pair of dimarzio ultra jazz pup's.i got some yesterday with a badass 2 bridge for my mim j-bass and it sounds funking sweet.TRUST ME.

3. Braxen,

We have a PICKUPS forum here, which is where this thread will be moved... ;)

4. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    lane poor's have a great modern sound. also the fender custom shop 60's are great replacement's for a 70's jazz.

5. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    If I remember correctly, Bass Player said that Bartolinis were great..

6. stroy05

stroy05 Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Basses, Noble Amps, Aguilar Amps, JHAudio Inears
    You really aught to look at Aero Instrument pickups. They are unbeleivable.

7. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Ever played an MIA Jazz Deluxe? Like the sound? skamaniac is selling the pu's and preamp out of his at the "gear for sale" forum... fairly likely it'll fit yours. Take your bass & amp to a store where they have an MIA J deluxe and compare 'em!

8. bassheavy

bassheavy banned

i put seymour duncan antiquity II's in my jazz and they sound unreal.

check out bassplayer.com for a jazz bass pickup replacement shoot out.

9. BassicRob

BassicRob

Mar 28, 2001
    Massapequa, NY
    I'd definatly have to agree strongly with starchild. I didn't notice the difference until I played with one of my bands and I sliced though like butta, :):echoes:: like butta)

They'e great if your looking for that midrange growl, but have done well as far as I could tell in lows and highs. The price can't be beat, abt $100 for the pair, compared to $100 each for Aeros, which I also heard was good. Check out my thread if you haven't already: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14837