what pickups should i look for?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jnightmare, Jul 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    well im thinking of getting new pickups for my fender standard p-bass. could anyone recommend on some pick-ups i should look into. i don't know much about pickups or what to look for, so i need a starting point so if someone could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated. i basically play in a hardcore band in case anyone needs to know what type of music im into playing. so any sugestions for pickups i should look at?

by the way its a MIM p-bass.
  2. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder, but try the stock pickup for a while. maybe you'll like it
  3. marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    I'm probably the minority in this forum but I prefer both of my P basses stock. I feel like the Fender P pickup is the standard by which all other P's are are measured... I mean you're talking about the most recorded bass in history, here.

I'm a big proponent of pickup and swapping and I do think that pickups and string type have the biggest impact on your tone - assuming that the build of a bass is at certain quality level, which I think that most are these days.

That said, I still keep my P's stock. In my mind you just can't go wrong... a good Fender PU and most importantly the volume and tone always at 100%.

Alot of guys talk about diddling with the volume and the tone knob but trust me.... any amazing P sound you've ever heard is full-on open. I've found that it's the strings which give a great P tone its signature. Meter, Jamerson, Dunn, Steve Harris = flats. Elvis Costello, the Clash and a million other rock bands = rounds. Pick, Fingers, etc..... whatever you're hearing. If you want a really really grindy sound try stainless steel but I prefer nickels for rounds on my P just because of that.

One idea I have toyed with is getting a Raven labs preamp for that active definition and signal buffering. I use an active bass for most of my live playing and I feel that a preamp can really help to get some extra mileage out of a set of strings. That and I find that a preamp (usually set flat) adds some definition that's so crucial in a live setting.

I'd mess with P pickups on an extra P bass to get a sound in addition to the Fender sound but not as a substitute because it's such a good, bread and butter, working man's, utilitarian tone. Right now I've got one strung w/ flats (used all day in the studio today) and one w/ rounds. If I did the Raven labs thing it would be on a third P bass because I wouldn't mess with the other two.

Anyways, I'm going to step off of my soap box now.

One last thing though, I'm not familiar w/ MIM pu's...my guess is that thery're probably just like American models but I can't say that for sure. If they're not and you're looking for a quality Fender American PU , I'd go w/a Fender '62 or maybe they're called Vintage 62' or something like that nowadays.
  4. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Sorry, but this isn´t the first, or last p-bass pickups thread that I will close..

Check out the search function here above.. this topic has been covered here over and over again since the dawn of mankind :)

But seriously, the stock pickups and SD Quarter pounders seem to be a clear favorite in these forums.

Check out the search function, I got 259 results from using "p-bass pickups" I´m sure you´ll find something interesting there.

Over and out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.