1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

what pickups should i look for?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jnightmare, Jul 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    well im thinking of getting new pickups for my fender standard p-bass. could anyone recommend on some pick-ups i should look into. i don't know much about pickups or what to look for, so i need a starting point so if someone could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated. i basically play in a hardcore band in case anyone needs to know what type of music im into playing. so any sugestions for pickups i should look at?

by the way its a MIM p-bass.

2. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder, but try the stock pickup for a while. maybe you'll like it

3. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    I'm probably the minority in this forum but I prefer both of my P basses stock. I feel like the Fender P pickup is the standard by which all other P's are are measured... I mean you're talking about the most recorded bass in history, here.

I'm a big proponent of pickup and swapping and I do think that pickups and string type have the biggest impact on your tone - assuming that the build of a bass is at certain quality level, which I think that most are these days.

That said, I still keep my P's stock. In my mind you just can't go wrong... a good Fender PU and most importantly the volume and tone always at 100%.

Alot of guys talk about diddling with the volume and the tone knob but trust me.... any amazing P sound you've ever heard is full-on open. I've found that it's the strings which give a great P tone its signature. Meter, Jamerson, Dunn, Steve Harris = flats. Elvis Costello, the Clash and a million other rock bands = rounds. Pick, Fingers, etc..... whatever you're hearing. If you want a really really grindy sound try stainless steel but I prefer nickels for rounds on my P just because of that.

One idea I have toyed with is getting a Raven labs preamp for that active definition and signal buffering. I use an active bass for most of my live playing and I feel that a preamp can really help to get some extra mileage out of a set of strings. That and I find that a preamp (usually set flat) adds some definition that's so crucial in a live setting.

I'd mess with P pickups on an extra P bass to get a sound in addition to the Fender sound but not as a substitute because it's such a good, bread and butter, working man's, utilitarian tone. Right now I've got one strung w/ flats (used all day in the studio today) and one w/ rounds. If I did the Raven labs thing it would be on a third P bass because I wouldn't mess with the other two.

Anyways, I'm going to step off of my soap box now.

One last thing though, I'm not familiar w/ MIM pu's...my guess is that thery're probably just like American models but I can't say that for sure. If they're not and you're looking for a quality Fender American PU , I'd go w/a Fender '62 or maybe they're called Vintage 62' or something like that nowadays.

4. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Sorry, but this isn´t the first, or last p-bass pickups thread that I will close..

Check out the search function here above.. this topic has been covered here over and over again since the dawn of mankind :)

But seriously, the stock pickups and SD Quarter pounders seem to be a clear favorite in these forums.

Check out the search function, I got 259 results from using "p-bass pickups" I´m sure you´ll find something interesting there.

Over and out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.