Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what pickups should i use??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by taviswardlaw, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Hey T.B.ers,
    I'm (hopefully) going to be making a fretless four string j-type bass... and i'm wondering what pickups i should use.
    Its gonna be a bolt on, walnut body, maple neck (birdseye of course!) and ebony fretboard.

I'm kinda going for a slightly dark fretless tone with good low end tone and some bite in the highs, but what's critical for me in the fretless tone department is smooth mids...

any suggestions?

(btw, thanks guys)

2. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I would suggest the DiMarzio Model J. I have these in my MIM fretless jazz bass, and I absolutely love the sound. I use D'addario Chromes on that bass too, so your string choice will probably be important too.

I hear Bartolini's are great for fretless, but I have no experience with them personally.

Carey Nordstrand's NJ4SE pickups have a boost in the midrange, so these may also be the ticket to the tone you want. I have a Nordstrand P/J set in a Pbass deluxe, and IMHO these are killer! :hyper:

Hope that helps :bassist:

3. yeah i was thinking the nordstrand's... haven't heard anything but praise for em... thanks

4. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    You're welcome :bassist:

Go to Carey's forum about his basses, and pickups. He has a thread about new pickups he's introduced. Plenty of good information there!

Hope you find what you're looking for. Keep us informed, m'kay? :hyper:

5. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    J pickups are as common as muck; buy a few secondhand and experiment a la luknfur's Dimento's threads and see what you like after it's built. Sell on the one's you don't like.