Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What pickups sound the same as Fender Jazz, but...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rubo, Nov 18, 2004.

1. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Hi, what pickups sounds the same as the current Fender USA jazz, but slightly darker in pitch and maybe a little more growl, but still have the full characteristics of a modern Fender USA Passive Jazz sound?

Cheers

2. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Fralin

3. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    DiMarzio Model J's. They seem to have a bit more bottom, and yield tremendous lower midrange growl. They might not sound exactly like USA Fenders, but they're sweet none the less.

4. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    I dont; need more botom, I need darker Jazz, for more bottom I can EQ. I was thinking EMG, but it's active.

Cheers

5. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    I have 3 jazz setup basses with EMG's and they sound amazing. Deep, Articulate and growly when you want.

6. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Well, typically the key to getting a darker tone is having more bottom end in your signal. Going with an EMG setup (IMO) is not the way to go for a dark sound, EMG's are notoriously bright. Either the DiMarzio's I recommended, or some Barts (I'm thinking the 9J1) would likely serve you well.

EDIT: Just to clarify, and avoid potential arguments. My opinion of EMG's is less than favorable, and I've only owned one bass with EMG's, and they were the HZ series. So take my comments with a grain of salt.

7. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Now which EMG has more growl J or JV? Also is that true that I will need different pots for Active pickups.

Cheers

8. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    I used to have n Elrick with Bart soapbars - I hated them, I don't know how the J Barts would compare to soapbars.

Cheers

9. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Bart's are boring IMHO.

10. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

In general, seems to me most of the major manufacturers design their tone and characteristics into their pups. Definetly exceptions but enough so that many players tend to stick with a given manufacturer -or at least favor one manufacturer.

Active EMG's and passive Fenders are at opposite ends of the spectrum. For the EMG's you'll need a 25K volume pot, battery clip, and battery at minimum - forgot, and a stereo jack. Standard EMG 3 pot harness is all 25K audio pots. If you're interested I have a set of EMG's J's for $45 shipped.

In your intitial post, I'd have guessed a set of Marcus Millers may get you what you were asking for. I have a set of those for $65 shipped.

In the end, there are too many variables besides pups to know if you'll like the results of whatever you get till you get them and play them to music for a bit.

You can read my impression of these and other J's (including EMG JV's) at Dimento's J experiment.

11. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Luknfur can you please email me at fizmata@rogers.com

I'm very interested in both sets.

Boris

12. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I wouldn't say EMG's are darker. The DM Model J's are definitely darker, due to their low mid prominent sound.

13. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    IMO the J's have more growl, and yes you'll almost certainly need different pots unless you're hooking the pickups up to a preamp with input buffers for impedance matching like the u-retro/j-retro.

14. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    David, how close do the DM Model J's sound to regular Fender jazz? Is it their own tone, or very similar only darker?

Cheersd

15. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Myself and most people think of a darker pup being lower frequency but for example a set of Antiquity II's I recently ran seemed darker than the Marcus Millers. The SD's just seemed to have a broader frequency range on the lower end but the bass in the Marcus Millers seemed to go lower frequencey. Also omparing SD hot P/J stack (which are fairly bright overall) not being as dark as the Marcus Millers yet have a fatter bottom with noticeably scooped mids.