Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what pickups to get for a warwick

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sloppysubs, May 12, 2003.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    what do you all think i should get? i have a streamer std. it has two MEC soap bars. Im thinking emg? agree or disagree?

2. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    ok let me measure and get back to you

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    it's just my opinion, but EMG's sound really sterile. You need something that will compliment the warwick's mids, because that is it's strongpoint. Get the bartolinis.

4. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    i had considered bats too. ill look into that. thanks.

5. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Well, this is just my opinion, but my main bass is a 1987 Warwick Streamer with EMG pickups and it sounds awesome (and that's not just my opinion, sound guys always love it and it records beautifully).

The reason, I think, that Warwick basses suit EMG pickups so well is that the basses produce very complex growling mids and the EMG pickups are transparent enough to let that through without adding their own colour, but then being EMG's they add massive tight bottom and bright sharp top-end.

Go for EMG!!!

Alex

6. alexclaber

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Ditto. What do you want to change about the sound of the bass? More midrange and smoothness, go for Barts, more top, bottom and growl, go for EMG.

Alex

7. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    well id kind of like to get a bit more of both. i play a good bit in the mid range so i need that, however im pretty balanced by lows and highs. and i would like a more aggressive sound.

8. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    then get the EMG's and run them at 18v.

9. alexclaber

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I second that!

Alex

10. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    ok, ill look into it then. emg's at 18 volt.

11. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I just finished a torturously long pickup evaluation for my Warwick Thumb after my stock MEC's died.

Tried Bart pups & pre, didn't like the Bart pre. Put in a U-Retro pre, Barts sounded better but still not great. Tried Dimarzio UJ 5's, Carvin Single Coils. All sounded ok, but my Thumb still didn't have it's growl.

I just put in two EMG LJ pups, and the growl is back! Sounds great with the U-Retro preamp - so count me in as another vote for EMG's.

12. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i have a corvette pro 6 with barts/mec pre

i will probably get a u-retro

the only problem is that my bass has a maple/ebony neck - kinda bright - i wish it had more low mids

13. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    u retro pre with emg's? alright. where can i get a u retro though?

14. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I can't see where you are from your profile. If you're in the US, you order from Steve Barr at Vintage Bass Trading Company.

http://www.vintagebass.com

The U-Retro comes with three stacked concentric pots. Blend/Volume, Bass/Treble (with bright pull), Mid Sweep/Mid Cut&Boost

It also comes with an active/passive switch, and a pickup blend switch which disabled the blend and puts on (I think) 100% neck pickup.

I ordered a custom one without the blend switch, no extra charge, and leave the active/passive switch inside the control cavity. I don't really need the a/p switch, as if the battery dies my pickups will be dead as well as the preamp. But you could just get a stock one and have both switches inside the cavity (and probably get the unit quicker as it'll come from stock rather than being custom made)

15. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    yea i think id rather not have the switch. im trying to not have holes drilled in it. if it has the 3 knobs then thats cool. so i order from this fella, then i buy the right pick ups then i take it to someone to install it. am i missing anything?

16. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Nope, that's it :)

17. Geez..haven't I heard that one before. My Streamer stage I MEC preamp just STOPPED, middle of a live set. Absolute crap IMO. However....I decided on a whim to go with a full Alembic system and have never once looked back. I ended up doing another full install on my Dolphin5 Pro which opened up it's tone in a very dramatic way.
    IMO; EMG's pair well with Warwick woods, Bart's DO NOT. My Dolphin hand the blandest, most anemic of tones with it's MEC preamp and two Bartolini P2 soapbars..bleah. Go with Alembic.

[​IMG]

18. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    the pickups on your bass are the exact same as mine, minus the maker. but thats what mine look like. what are the sizes of those things? and can anyone tell me a better place to look for emgs? i tried the site and i cant open their catalouge.

19. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I ordered mine from http://www.dguitarparts.com

20. S**t can look like chocolate under the right light too....MEC are evil. so many stories of preamps unexpectadly giving up the ghost, almost always at the most inopportune of times as well! Ok, some folk like 'em but for me, actions speak louder than words.
    My streamer was an '88 long before the latest run of econo-Wick's. Actually, I just routed my bass out for those soapbars, replacing the EMG/MEC set-up. Blasphemy I know...but the finished result was awful purdy like.

http://www.alembic.com/prod/pickups.html

http://www.alembic.com/prod/prices.html#ACTIVATORS