What pickups will make this come alive?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mattsk42, Feb 25, 2010.

1. mattsk42

mattsk42 Supporting Member

I have this bass: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Mill5BXPTBl/

And it's going ok playing-wise. So buying a new bass is not an option. BUT... I want MUCH more bite and growl to the pickups. I have a Fender that I get a good "vintage"/thumpy sound out of, so I want to make this into a REALLY "hi-fi" or modern sound. Something that cuts through anything and growls like a G&L.

What pickup set fits this specifically and what should I go with that would have some kind of a modern/growl sound SPECIFICALLY?
    I can't test individual pickups so I need to know what YOU have used/heard and specifically YOU would recommend.

2. Some kind of onboard pre-amp would probably help.

3. atb

atb

Feb 28, 2009
  4. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Depends entirely what your personal definition of 'growl' is. There's about 523 different interpretations of that word here last week alone.

5. mattsk42

I figured that either of those would do the trick, but can you give any specific examples and/or experiences in similar situations?

6. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
    A 4 band Audere preamp and a set of seymor duncan pickups. Be careful any replacement set of pickups in that bass may be a different size and not fit the routes.

7. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo
    If you don't like how the bass sounds get rid of it and pick another one.

8. mattsk42

Wow that's totally not helpful. I must not be wording this specific enough or something.

Thanks Ric5, though. At least one good reply! :)

9. JoeFern

JoeFern

Mar 15, 2009
    Now, i'm a fan of passive, so heres my suggestion

I'd say put a seymour duncan quarter pounder jazz in the bridge pickup position, a seymour duncan hot jazz in the neck position. This is the most aggressive/growly thing i can think of for jazz pickups

good luck

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021