What pisses you off most about musicians?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by FreshBassist81, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Doesnt have to be just Bassists. To be honest with you, I hate people who gig with other people's instruments. I have a friend that borrowed a very nice original 60's era Fender to play a pop-punk show, and it looks like he's taken an Ibanez or a Washburn for another gig. He actually plays just a Squier P-Bass.
  2. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

That when I go to read about musical related items the first thing I find being threads like this, looking for something to be "mad" about.

One of the things the internet is most abused for is to find things to gripe about.

Could have at least come up with a different title to the thread.
  3. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Being assigned certain songs to study up on and prep for rehearsal. And they don't

I am also greatly annoyed by continually missed cues and lackluster participation. Despite continued reminders and promises.

Firing is the only answer.
  4. Skeezix

Sep 28, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Arrogance. :scowl:
  5. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    The fact that a majority of them are extremely unreliable.
  6. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Using rehearsal time to learn songs. I know it's petty, but it still bothers me. If I can do homework, so can you.
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    No it's not petty. I totally agree. Go learn the songs on your own time and come to practice (or better yet the gig) when you can play it and not a second before. I once fired a guy because he didn't learn the songs we were doing before he got to practice. I gave him three opportunities to do the right thing, too.

That's my biggest gripe by far. Fortunately I'm playing with a much better class of musician these days and that problem is rare. Unfortunately, another almost-as-major gripe has surfaced recently...I can't ****** stand it when I'm doing a solo and some other idiot in the band plays on top of it. When I'm soloing, I want drums and nothing else. But some dumbsh...er...jerk always has to comp along. I get one solo a night if I'm lucky, and when someone else besides the drums plays during the bass solo, the first thing that people think is, "Bass solo's over," and it totally kills whatever momentum I had going. I lost it after my gig last night because of that. I was ready to throw my bass down and bust our keyboard player's stuff because of it. I guarantee you they won't do that again.
  8. JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    Following problems with musicians that...
    a. Don't bother to learn before rehearsal
    b. Learn during the rehearsal
    c. Rehearse during the sound checks
    d. Sound check during the preformances
    They seem to be always a step behind.
  9. I've noticed that most of the posts share my sediments as well. I specifically agree with the rehearsal, some players seem to want to blend practice and rehearsal, not a good disipline.
  10. Theres a couple things that annoy me:

1) Arrogant, up-their-own-arse singers who choose ALL the material and think they're better than everyone else in the band

2) Musicians who will NOT SHUT THE F*** UP when someones mobile goes off during practice (ESPECIALLY those who PURPOSEFULLY turn up their amps and bang away as LOUD AS POSSIBLE when a phone goes off!)

3) Just the general fact that in the music business, (even if your in a band with your best mates) its "every man for himself" in terms of getting paid, learning the parts and getting to the gigs on time with all the gear (ok, not so much the last one - but you get the idea...)
  11. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Even when I'm late to practice, I'm usually the first one from my band to show up. And I'm the one who lives the furthest away from where we practice.
  12. Oberg

Apr 10, 2005
    I hate when showing up for a gig and you are the only one that is setting up all the gear, and if YOU dont do it no one will...
  13. bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    1. I have to admit that this doesn't bother me. After all, the singer is the one who has to sell the songs to the crowd. If he can't do a song well or hates a song, he's not going to be able to sell it to the crowd as well. So I think the singer should get a good amount of leeway in this.

2. I agree. Have a little respect.

3. Welcome to the world!
  15. 1) When a band hits the stage and someone plays a little "hey look at me!" warm up solo to call attention to themselves.

2) Musicians who noodle around between songs during a gig, especially when they play snippets of the song they're about to do (ruins the element of surprise).
  16. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Our former singer used to introduce songs by saying: "goin' to play some 'stones now". I always hated that because it sounded real pretentious (he was/is) and phony (that too).

There are many ways to introduce songs that don't involve givin' it up, or naming the artist. But that fired singer always found a way to raise hackles.

We just played our 1st gig with the new line up and besides receiving alot more compliments, I was told by some of our friends that they used to come and see us just to snicker at the fomer 'jerk' singer.
  17. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Players who play ONLY to become better than someone else. Just to show them up.

18. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Noodling when someone's talking, on stage or at rehearsals.
  19. I have to strongly disagree with this. Unless it's a dire emergency, rehearsal, or even practice for that matter, is not the place for "chit-chat" or for taking care of other business. It's unprofessional, inconsiderate to the others in the group that are there to get the job done, and is just unconstructive in general. And of course turning amps up, (screwing up the blend and balance), and "banging away" (unnecessary distraction) isn't cool either.