1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What pots and capacitors should i use for converting my active bass to passive?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by danielfnj96, Mar 9, 2013.

1. danielfnj96

danielfnj96

Jan 29, 2012
    NJ, USA
    So the deal is i have an Ibanez SR300 that i want to wire similarly to a jazz bass (volume/volume/tone) or possibly with a 3 way switch. The first problem with my plan is that i'm not sure if i need 250k pots, 500k pots, 100k pots, or something else. Secondly i don't know if i'm going to want to use a 0.047uf capacitor, a 0.1uf capacitor, or something else. I want the pots to act fairly standard and i like the tone knob to be able to roll of as much as possible without loosing volume. The current pickups are the standard Ibanez Soapbar Humbuckers wich i have hear have low output without the preamp, the preamp is one of those weird tone shifter ones with the funky mid scoop-mid hump knob. If anyone could give me some advice it'd be much appreciated. Also i forgot to mention i may change the pickups at some point but i'm not sure of whether or when that will happen.

2. It really doesn't matter that much, but 500's will be better with humbuckers unless you like a dark tone. The .047 cap is fine.

3. Dan55

Dan55

Apr 26, 2006
    Atlanta
    Yep, if you're going with J bass passive pickups, 250k pots and a .047uf is what you want. Humbuckers, what dmusic said.

Dan