What pots to get?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Im just pricing everything up, and dont know what kind of pots i should get, its going to be volume/volume/tone setup and its for a DiMarzio model J and Will Power middle,

im going to get a series/parallel switch aswell (is it possible to have a series/parralled switch for each pup? ), im pretty sure its an SPDT if its for each pup or a DPDT for both being controlled by the same switch?

I was thinking of going volume/volume tone/tone with stacked pots, but that would leave a hole with nothing to go there, unless anyone has any suggestions of what could be stuck in there?

2. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Stick a placebo knob or switch in there. Wire it to nothing, and if anyone asks "hey man, gimme a different sound..." just flick that switch with intent and there's an 80% chance that person will be fooled. Lee Sklar did this. ;)
  3. Would 500K pots be the right one to get for these pups? they are hot but still passive
  4. DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    250Ks are typical. 500Ks will pass a few more highes. But their resonant unbehaved highes. It really comes down to personal preference.

If you go the 500K route and things seem too sparkly, you could just place a 250K resistor between the signal output at the jack and ground and you will essentially have the same thing as two 250K pots when everything is wide open.

5. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I don't know anything about Will Power pickups, but since the DiMarzio Model J has dual coils, you can have a series/parallel switch for that pickup alone.
  6. The will power pickup is like the Model P but with a bit more oomf :)

Cheers Dave, i wasnt sure, i think i'll go with 250K pots