Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What power amp for my Sansamp RBI?!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cetera, Aug 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Hi everyone, :hyper:

I've recently purchased a Sansamp RBI Rack Pre-Amp and I was wondering what Power Amp would work well with it? I will put it all through two Hartke 4x10XL cabs.... :bassist:

I will need approx 350 watts of power I believe.

My requirements are that the amp is solid, rack-mountable, fan cooled, reliable, powerful & as reasonably priced as possible! :D

Any suggestions, or anyone run a similar set up?

Thanks!

2. bennettsteve

bennettsteve Guest

Dec 14, 2002
    For bang for the buck, the Behringer Europower amps are hard to beat. I've been using the EP1500 with a SansAmp Bass Driver DI as a preamp. I also just received a BBE Bmax preamp. The EP1500 sounds great with both preamps, puts out plenty of clean power, and runs cool.

3. I would be suprized that Behringer could make could power amps when I haven't exactly heard alot of great reviews on other products. but it'd be cool to get a 1000 watts for a couple hundred bucks.

4. bennettsteve

bennettsteve Guest

Dec 14, 2002
    Well, it's more like 1400 watts for 300 bucks, but it's a nice piece of equipment. I have no complaints about mine, other than it's heavy.

5. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I have one too- it's a little heavy, but not too bad. I run my BMax into it and it is clean. Reasonably priced, as well. I think it compares roughly to a QSC RMX1450. Not *exactly* the same, but close enough.I have no problems with it at all. Good quality for the price.

6. cronus

cronus Guest

Jan 17, 2002
    Romulus, Michigan
  7. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I think not... QSC is a heavy-duty, reliable, high-quality power-amp, while Behringer is only a cheap toy and a ripoff

8. bennettsteve

bennettsteve Guest

Dec 14, 2002
    My opinion of the Behringer is based on experience. How about yours?

9. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    On reading the bad experiences of some whose Behringer gear crapped out or complain about their faults/problems. If it is as frequent, then it cant be reliable. otherwise its made from cheap components in China.
    But believe me, these two brands area not comperable.

IF Behringer was as good as it is cheap, then most places would be using them as their PA systems - but in fact in most PA systems, you'll find Crown, Crest, QSC, and other high-end power-amplifiers.

10. I noticed that weight is not a concern. In that case I would recommend a QSC RMX series. They are heavier than the PLX series but a lot less expensive. The price difference does not reflect the quality of sound or construction between the two series, just the weight.

11. bennettsteve

bennettsteve Guest

Dec 14, 2002
    If you know of a bad review of the Europower amps, please point me to it, as I haven't seen one yet. Your statement that this amp is a cheap toy has no basis in fact.

12. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Yeah, the RMX850 would probably suit your needs.... althouth I honestly have to say I'm not a huge fan of the Hartke cabs :p

13. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    You asked for it!

Though I couldnt find a review for the Europower amps since they are still fairly new, here are some comments for their other products:

"The build quality of Behringer is on the cheap side.I would not like to take this on the road.I think for studio use,reliability wont be a problem"
    http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Data/Behringer/3242X_Eurorack_Mixer-01.html

"Reliability: 9
    I was dissapointed in the plastic case. Not substantial at all. But, I've owned several Behringer products and have never been let down. This is no Boss compact pedal by any means, but I expect it will last if not abused."
    http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Data/Behringer/Bass_V_Amp-01.html

"Reliability: N/A
    The power cord receptacle is so touchy I’ll either send it back for repair or open it up and do it myself. If the unit is moved even Ľ”, or the power cord is touched it shuts off or resets. There was also an issue with the unbalanced outputs being loose and generating some noise. The S/PDIF jack should be fastened to the rear panel, from the movement of it I’d assume it’s simply fastened to the PCB. Hopefully I won’t need to constantly reconnect it since the amount of movement is not encouraging. Initial quality issues are never a good thing to see, but this seems like some poor QC with connectors, maybe a couple of cold solder problems. I just noticed that the LED’s for the master volume are not functioning at all. Then again, on Behringer’s site the picture shows that the LED’s on the master volume don’t light, there’s a dot on the knob instead. What’s up with that, nine knobs with LED’s and one with a dot? Especially for the master… but I leave it up all the way anyway. Overall, the unit doesn’t have a very road-worthy feel to it… but then again it’s made to be rack mounted and protected from abuse. Theoretically rack gear doesn't get abused. I’ll have to consider this unit reliable until it isn’t. (ala Yogi…;-)"

http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Data/Behringer/Bass_V_Amp_Pro-01.html

"Sound Quality: 5
    I used this to de-ess vocals. It was merely okay. I paid very little for it, so I'd say I got what I paid for. "
    http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Data/Behringer/DE2000_Suppressor-01.html

These were just the first four reviews, in this order that I found, and I'm too tired to read further.
    Havent found it written down now what I've heard about them, but believe me, they've got a bad reputation for reliability/cheap components/ripping off other companies's designs, etc

You are just trying to defend your decision, but admit it, you know you cheaped out with this one, and "you get what you pay for", it'll have its consequences.

END

14. bennettsteve

bennettsteve Guest

Dec 14, 2002
    As I said previously, show me a bad review of the Europower amps.

15. If you are patient and search fleaBay for a while a good deal will pop up. I got a QSC USA900 for $160 this way. 450W per channel @ 4 ohms. What a solid piece of equipment this is.

16. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Answering a few questions might help.

1. What impedence are the two cabs?
    [affects whether you could bridge the amp with both cabs connected]

2. How much power are the cabs rated for?

3. How much do you have to spend?

17. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    As I said:
    "Though I couldnt find a review for the Europower amps since they are still fairly new, here are some comments for their other products:..."

You are the very definition of chop-logic or hard-boiled.
    Extremely opinionated, almost obnoxious.

18. Could you boys go play in another room? :spit:

19. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Sorry - he beat me to it, as you can see :ninja:

20. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Used Crown, Crest, Peavey, Mackie, etc. You'll find a lot of great poweramp deals on the secondhand market. I use a Crest CA-6 to light up an Acme B-4. Happy hunting!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.