What power amps do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lord Byron, Feb 4, 2003.

1. Hello all,
    I'm starting to research power amps. I'll be running a Sansamp RBI pre-amp and using a Genz-Benz 4-10 rated at 700 watts.
    Can I get some suggestions on what to start looking at? I'm thinking something around 1000 watts and price around $500 US.
    Mostly we play classic rock and blues.
  2. ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    For that price you might want to look at the Mackie 1400. Good amp for the $$ but it is a bit heavy.

3. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Get either a

QSC RMX 1850HD ($350 used, $450 new)

or a QSC PLX 1602 (probably $500 used, $570 new)

Their have been threads comparing these so do a search to find out which one is better for your needs :)
  4. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I'm so happy with my QSC PLX that I bought another one. And pretty sure that I'm going to get 2 more for my PA.
  5. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I will suggest a carvin power amp. You can get the DCM1500 (1500 watts at 4 ohms) for under $500 and it works very nicely. I have had mine since may and it hasn't done me wrong yet.
  6. Something light?
    Look on ebay for a used Carver PM 1.5.
    Powerful, light, inexpensive, well-respected and widely used in the Pro Audio world. Good enuff for Clair Brothers (although they do a bit of a 'hot-rodding' to their Carvers;) )

Don't mind the weight?
    Look on ebay for a used QSC MX1500.
    Powerful, heavy, inexpensive, well-respected and widely used in the Pro Audio world.... not to mention that the MX series redefine the concept of reliability.

"New is nice if you wanna pay for it twice"