Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What Power Conditioner to use in my rack?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by orskard, Mar 13, 2005.

1. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    Hey, im in the final stages of my rack building. All i need is the rack and a power cond.

What are some other names of power cond. besides furman? Im not looking for one that does a lot. Im pretty much getting it so i have one plug and some lights that pull out. One plus is such a good idea when on small stages, so thats why im looking to get it. I was wondering if there are other good ones out there. And if they are really any different.

thanks.

2. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    I've gotten to like the ETA brand of power conditioners. I've got an 8 outlet model in my bass rig rack, and another that has 11 outlets mounted in my main PA rack. Very handy!

3. americanmade

americanmade

Feb 12, 2005
    Is a power conditioner necesary if I only have a rackmount head and the effects I use are pedals? I am looking at buying a rackmount head and am wondering what other expenses there are.

4. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    If you and your bandmates are playing small stages, chances are that you'll run into less than adequate electrical service. A power conditioner will allow you to run a couple of guitar amplifiers, your bass amp and maybe even a small PA system off of one wall socket.

Just a thought as to the "usefulness aspect" of a power conditioner!

5. merrill1

merrill1

Dec 1, 2004
    As far as these go, monster has a great thing going. The "cleanpower" technology is not just hype. They really will make the power to your amp cleaner and safer. A lot of low-end stuff (even furman), though good for what they are, do not do this. Make sure you get something that will really make a difference and protect your amp. It will greatly lengthen the life of your amp. The really cheap stuff really does little more than a 5 dollar wally-world power strip.

Aaron

6. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    +1 on that...

...although then you jump into an entirely different (and much higher) budgetary realm! :eyebrow:

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    gee i was looking for the can of worms jpeg.............. :p
    anyhow, general consensus is that 1 - power strips are darned conveniant, 2 - in order to get something that's more than just a prettied up power strip you have to geta good one, 3 - you're going to pay way too much for it in terms of the cost of the actual components in it.
    that said i would either get a nice cheep one (although items like pl pluses go for way too much on e-bay as they are in that critical price range where people always bid too much for them) or if you are super concerned, do a lot of research and be prepared to drop some cash on a high qualility unit.

8. merrill1

merrill1

Dec 1, 2004
  9. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    A power strip will do that as well.

10. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Sorry, but hype is all it is.

11. Hype aside, one advantage of the Furman PL-PLUS is the 10 foot power cable. I challenge you to find a power stip with a 10 foot cable those days...

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Yes, many times have I been the envy of my two guitar players, with their measley 6' cables on their Juice Goose units! :D

And the lights are also a nice feature in a darkened environment. You may not need them all the time, but it's nice to have them there when you do need them.

I have also found the voltmeter on the PL-Plus to be helpful in several situations where we had extremely low voltage supplied from a given circuit. We were able to identify this before we turned anything on, and in one case, we were able to find another, more robust, circuit to play through. In at least one case, though, the low voltage killed the gig (we tried to power up, but there just wasn't enough juice to go 'round).

13. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Alesis PowerStrip-8

Looks really nice. Has anyone used it?

14. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    I am also using the pl-plus. The long cord is handy. I don't know if it does jack to protect my gear though, I just bought it as a cheap solution for outlets when I got it.

15. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Chang Lightspeed is well known in audiophile circles for their power conditioners. I use one (the 3200 Mk II) in my stereo system. They are known for having a circuit that does not limit current (your power amp will love it).

They have a couple of new rackmount models.

http://changlightspeed.com/CLS305.html

16. merrill1

merrill1

Dec 1, 2004
    Bob, is it good for your amp to have power that spikes and fluctuates?

All I have for equipment is a multimeter, and I can tell the difference.

aaron

17. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Interesting. Any idea what those sell for?

18. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Anyone? I dont like the furman look

19. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Is it good? Why don't you ask if it's bad instead?

It depends on how much it fluctuates and spikes, and how well-designed the amp is. However, the remedy for severe cases is power regulation, not power conditioning. And then you're talking $$$, even for non-Monster brands.

I wouldn't consider power conditioning for a power amp, but perhaps for a preamp or processing/effects gear that is susceptible to AC line noise. But even that need is extremely rare. Expecting "protection" from most power conditioners is akin to expecting collision protection from a bra on the front of your car.

20. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    :D