1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what practise amp? proper tone machine!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassInMyFace, Mar 6, 2008.

1. im a serious player with serious gear but i am in need of a low volume, full tone practise amp.

so far i have narrowed the search to the hartke a35 (love the punchy clarity of hartkes alu cones!)
    the swr la12 (fairly mediocre reviews but its an swr right??)
    and the new kid on the block the roland micro cube rx (4 tiny speakers, can it really deliver much quality tone???)
    and the ashdown perfect ten (the only 1 in the list i have played through, very very nice full warmth)

has anyone got any thoughts/new suggestions?

all i want it for is bedroom practise but it has to be quality to handle full range of playing styles and tones. perhaps use for recording also.

noone say peavy microbass unless with a very very good reason!!!

2. only4

only4

Aug 12, 2006
    Manchester UK
    I was in one of my local music shops yesterday and noticed that Warwick have a range of small practice amps, they do an 8" 15 watt and a 10" 30 watt. I'm not sure what they are like but maybe worth a look.

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I have a GK MB150S. Great, high quality sound that'll do what you want. A bit expensive though but worth it for me. Records very nicely with just a good microphone up close. Very light-26 lbs.

4. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    I'd advise against the perfect 10. Played through one and could not hear myself with a quiet drummer.

5. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Recently got a GB Shuttle 3.0 1x8 for solo practice. Ridiculously light, handles low B well, not monster tone, but pleasing enough, and can be coupled with another cab to get loud enough for a drummer. On it's own it's quite loud. Pricey but very versatile and high quality build/features....headphone out, mute, FX etc.

6. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Give a listen to the Ampeg BA112, great sounding small amp with lots of flexibility.

7. No. Not the same thing at all. Those are junk.

An old Baby Blue is a great low volume, good tone amp though.

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I'd go along with that, nice little amp.

9. wow, a little pricey for me. a bit too overpowered as well, i defy anyone to need more than 30w for solo practise.

10. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    I would say the BA115 Ampeg, they are great sounding amps for what they are and they can be found pretty cheap.

11. how does the ampeg compare to other ampegs? i know a lot of people love em but im not a huge fan of the classic ampeg tone, bit too rocky. do like the SVT4 tho.

i guess the "style" selector and eq kinda sort out watever you want tho hey??

12. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    I am hit or miss with Ampeg gear for tone, there BA series combo amps are one that I like the tone of. I think the BA series all though a solid state amp has a pretty warm tone to them. But for an Ampeg reference I prefer the sound of there SVT3pro over there SVT4pro so they may or may not be for you.

13. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I've played the SWR before and its not really a tone machine at all. I found it limited in tones, and unable to keep up with a small guitarists amp for at home jams.

14. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    It is pricey but I love the tone. Much lower in price, and one I also own, is the Yorkville XM50C--a 1x10 combo with 50 watts and a very big sound. Compared to the other small amps like the budget SWR, small Fender and 30 watt Roland it sounds better to me. I can also record with it. It gets about the same volume as the GK MB150 due to its more efficient speaker. It's small and light (30 lbs.) and the price is good. I paid $329 Canadian for mine. They have a great 2 year, even if you break it, warranty and they're made in Canada. Available in the USA.

15. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx

Probably a more modern sound than you would think, with a lot of variation when combining the regular EQ and style switch. It has a headphone out, Line Out, and CD input and gets louder than you would think for a 50 watt amp. (I've gigged with it with a reasonable drummer before). It was the smallest amp I could find that had enough bass resonse for my tastes. Have had it over a decade w/o any problems and best of all....NO BA115 tweeter! :D The only down side is that they run about $300, new.

16. mr.black

mr.black

Mar 4, 2008
    new666jersey
    ok i'm in the same boat for a bedroom practice amp: depends on what you want to spend???

#1: pj breifcase- very sweet IMO, but not extreamly loud. but $$.
    #2: the line6 with the 1 10" is neat for the quick tone change factor- but $210?
    #3: ampeg 110- sweet, larger than the others

all tested with a lakeland DJ jazz.

P.S. the mesa boogie The Walkabout Scout has major promise if i can ever find one to try!

17. kasbrey

kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    Northampton UK
    I have a Nemesis N8 and couldn't be happier with it.

18. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    There's 2 Scouts at a local GC here in Dalls, $999. each. Have your local GC ship it to them, I think you could order it in, and not have to actually buy it. But, you will buy it after you try it, and it's not exactly a "practice" amp.

19. only4

only4

Aug 12, 2006
    Manchester UK
  20. yeah i watched that too, until i try it tho im sceptical to the max. its proper tiny, u can run it off batteries!! iv got a feeling its gonna be more for kids to mess about with, i really dont reckon it could deliver proper tone.