Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What pre-amp for Heir

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dirk, May 24, 2002.

1. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Hey guys, early next week I'm going to be ordering my MTD Heir. I'm definitely getting an on-board pre-amp to drop in there, although I will most likely stick with the stock pups for the time being. I'm also going to add a coil splitter for the MM bridge pup. Here's the sound I'm trying to achieve. I want a preamp bypass, so I can put the MM in parallel and get a decent thump, similar to a P-bass, then I want to put the pre-amp on and get a good MM type growl w/ the MM pup in series, and also get that nasally single coil bridge J bass growl and some other sounds in between. So what preamp is for me. I'm considering the U-Retro and the Bartolini pre-amps. Thanks for any feed back

Dirk

2. I don't know a lot about the preamps but what I've heard is that the Bart is the best. The NTBT has highs & lows and NTMB, highs, mids, lows. That's the preamp I'm putting in my Kingston 5 (Heir w/ 1 pup), gonna know how it sounds next Thursday. If you still check this topic pls give a notice so I give a report or record a MP3.

Pedro Sobota

3. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    the emg isn't that bad.
    it also clicks so you know where it is flat.
    it has bass and treble. it doesn't take up a lot of room. ans it is very adjustable and sounds great

4. newbalance802

newbalance802

May 16, 2002
    EMG-great preamp

Bart-great preamp

Aguilar-better preamp

pope-even better

Sadowski inboard-best?

5. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    What's your reasoning for feeling this way? :confused:

6. newbalance802

newbalance802

May 16, 2002
    well, it's just been my experience with all the preamps that the sadowsky ones are really great . also the preamps used on the old prekramer spector (hazlab?) are awesome as well.Just my opinion. How is the heir otherwise?

7. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Well, just as I think I'm finally going to cure a case of GAS, something crappy happens. My car got totalled so I'm going to use my graduation money along w/ the insurance money to get a better vehicle. So the Heir will have to wait. It might be better because I'm going to Chicago this summer and I'll have a chance to play some other basses. I'm thinking I might go with a Lakland Skyline 44-02 instead of the Heir+preamp. Oh well, my main question was about the U-Retro, so if anyone has any thoughts on the preamp for future reference.

Dirk