Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what pre-amp for my Ray clone??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassopotmus, Feb 22, 2003.

1. bassopotmus

bassopotmus

Jan 12, 2003
    Holland
    Het fellow player I own a Olp "stingray", and im happy with the feel!!

But the sound..is less.
    So im into buying a nice pre-amp and a after market PU..any ideas??

I allready read about the Alnico SD, and I'm liking the sounds!! I cpuld also go for a Bart. but they are to tame..I want raw power!!

So the pre...I heard about the Aguilar, they have a new one with mids?? any users of the things??
    Other suggestions??

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I really like a basic bass/treble preamp on a MM.
    Sadowsky comes to mind.
    Aguilar as you said, too.

3. ms747

ms747

Aug 10, 2001
    Australia
    hey
    i recently replaced the stock pickup of my olp mm3 with the seymour duncan alnico pickup! it rocks, i combined this with the seymour duncan sts-3m3 preamp with the stacked bass/treble im totally pleased with the sound!

best of luck with it all
    cheers

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The seymour duncan MM replacement system is very good, I'd recommend that as it was developed specifically for MM basses.

5. shaunathan32

shaunathan32

Jan 18, 2004
    is that the "bassline" pickup? I saw it on musicians friend. My music man (not OLP) ernie ball stingray4 is not sounding good i got it used and i dont think its the factory humbucker, because those sound sweet. Does that bassline duncan pickup sound better then a factory MM ernie ball stingray pickup?

6. dougray

dougray Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    i have the aguilar obp3 in my lakland 55-01&55-02 and i recommend it,it gives even tone across all the strings ,not muddy sounding,and now my basses cut thru the mix,it gives ya sorta "hi-fi" sound,of course these are just my opinions...good-luck.

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I swapped out the stock pups and electronics with the basslines alnico pup and MM preamp. As I swapped both at the same time it's hard to say what the individual parts did, but overall the sound was much warmer on the bottom end and the slap contour switch sounded great.

8. rmckee

rmckee

Jan 27, 2004
    I have a similar problem: a blown preamp in a 70s stingray. I liked the way it sounded before the preamp died, but am intrigued with the possibility of "upgrading". I've been advised by a couple of people to just get the Ernie Ball replacement because that would be presumably the closest to the old one (and cheaper) but if anyone thinks the basslines or bartolini is a significantly better preamp, I'd like to know that before deciding which way to go. Comments appreciated.

9. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    I have been playing around with some replacement MM pickups and preamps lately. I tried the alnico basslines with an Aguilar OPB-1 (2-band). It was pretty good, but not exactly what I was looking for (my goal was to recreate the '76-'78 stingray tone with an off-the-shelf preamp and pickup).

I then swapped in a '77 preamp with Alnico for just a day or so. I had heard some mention that the Basslines alnico may not match up well with the stock stingray preamp. For the preamp I had, it seemed to work out just fine. Not sure if that would be true with a newer ernie ball 2- or 3-band preamp (I didn't have one to try).

I then swapped the pickup for a 'real' stingray pickup (a friend was looking for a basslines alnico). I didn't really have the stingray preamp/basslines alnico setup installed long enough to do a real comparison, but the two pickups seemed pretty close to me. The Basslines may have been slightly more even across the tonal range, but I actually am addicted to that extra high end edge that comes with the stock pickup.

I have a standard basslines 2-band preamp (not the one specific for the MM replacement). I was going to install it, but I would have had to rewire without the blend pot, and have several other projects on the burner.

My vote would be for the Basslines alnico MM pickup, and either the Basslines preamp (1st choice) or Aguilar OBP-1 (2nd choice, need room for two 9v batteries).

On the replacement, I would try to get the ernie ball preamp first and second choice would be the basslines.