1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What pre-amp goes well with an SD Bassline SMB-4D MusicMan pickup???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by *Munkeh*, Apr 6, 2006.

1. *Munkeh*

*Munkeh*

Apr 16, 2005
    London, UK
    Hi all,

Planning to get a jazz style custom bass with one MM pickup in the MM sweetspot area like the stingrays and sterlings.

Just wondering what pre-amp is the best 2-band EQ pre-amp to go with a MM Bassline SMB-4D pickup? So far i've looked at Aguilar and Seymour Duncan MM replacement preamps.

My playing style is pick and finger in rock/hard rock/heavy rock/metal.

Also... which one shall i get?

The MM bassline Alnico pickup (more bass but less treble)

Or

The MM bassline Ceramic pickup? (less bass but more treble)

Or doesn't it matter because you can EQ the bass and treble from your amp?

Thanks all! :bassist:

2. steve4765630

steve4765630

Feb 27, 2006
    Duncan MM preamp all the way. Hands down. Stops pulled. Game Over.

3. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    The duncan pickups are designed to work with the original MM preamp. I used to use the basslines alnico,with the factory preamp,and it worked fine.The Duncan preamp has a slap contour,if I remember correctly. Try the factory pre with the basslines pickup first,and you can swap out the preamps later if you want to.You can't go wrong with either.

4. First off, *Munkeh* in the first sentence said that he was going to be having a custom bass built, so he's not dropping a replacement p-up into a MM.

SD makes two versions of the MM styled p-up...one that drops into MM, and one on that is just the same size.

I personally like the SD electronics together, but if you are looking for a bit more warmth, I wouldn't hesitate to go with a Aggie OPB-1 pre.

5. steve4765630

steve4765630

Feb 27, 2006
    I don't think you can get an EBMM factory preamp. He's not retrofitting an existing EBMM. He's talking about a custom bass. It's cool man, I almost missed it too;-)

6. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    I failed to read the entire post. I just saw the title and went from there. My bad! Thumbs up on the SD and Aggie preamps.The bass in my avatar has a basslines alnico with a Bartolini 3 way preamp,and it's great too. I like being able to select passive or active.

7. *Munkeh*

*Munkeh*

Apr 16, 2005
    London, UK
    Excellent, thanks for the replies peeps =)

Halftooth... you mentioned SD makes two MM pickups... a direct drop in replacement and one that you can use on any bass with a MM cavity. Does this mean if i would want to use the direct drop in MM replacement, it would ONLY work with a MM pre-amp? And which one is the direct replacement MM pickup SD make? I hope it's not the SMB-4D because i am leaning towards this pickup instead of the Alnico one which doesn't seem to have a strong growl...

Thanks.

8. Don't quote me, but I believe that the MM replacement will only work in the MMs, or at least has to be wired in the same fashion. The only reason that I know that the two are completely different is because I was looking into buying one years back, and I was interested in the wrong one until I did the research.

9. *Munkeh*

*Munkeh*

Apr 16, 2005
    London, UK
    Excellent, thanks for the heads up.

Do you know which one is the MM replacement one? The ceramic one or the alnico one?

Thanks.

10. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Wrong forum... Needs to be in "Pickups & Electronic" wouldn't you agree??

Reported..

11. Not sure, but if you go to the Bassline's web site, I'm sure it would have mention there.

12. I just recently did this myself.
    Got the SMB4A Alinico with the three band SD Basslines STC-3M3 - (I think?) to go with it.
    This was an upgrade for me - turning my existing passive into an active. I also installed a switch between parallel and series too.
    Love it! Very flexible - and a lovely tone!

EDIT - On the website - there's a lot of mention that the Cermic is a lot brighter than the Alnico. Seriously, the Alnico is bright enough - no lack of definition here. Plus, it's got a nice thick and warm bottom.