1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What pre-amp you recommend

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by steveb98, Apr 5, 2006.

1. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    I have a Fender Am JBass its a couple years old. I recently got a Fender MM4 and love it. Now I want to start fixing up my old JBass by changing PU's and adding a pre-amp. I mainly play Funk and Jazz and use the MM4 for slap and want to mod this JBass for big phat, growly sound for Jazz, gospel, old school Funk.

PU's I'm thinking Nordstrand, Bart, maybe Fralin. My repair guy is a EMG fanatic. They have good definition, but not a lot of bottom on the basses i tried. As for pre-amp Aguilar or ??? I don't seem to hear people talk about Sadowsky pre-amp much these days. Bart and EMG pre-amps I mainly hear people use them when using the same PU's.

Any comments on what I should be considering?

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Here is just a little info on my MIJ '75 Reissue Fender Jazz Bass:
    The finish has been stripped of the back of the neck and the frets have been properly dressed. Bartolini pickups replaced the stock stuff. I had a local luthier do a rear route for a 3 band eq Bartolini Preamp and a battery compartment. Also, he put in a flush mount barrel jack coming off the bottom corner of the bass. The stock bridge has been replaced in favor of a Badass II. Also, the stock nut has been replaced with a graphite one. And last but not least, the cosmetic stuff. I've replaced the pickguard many times starting from the stock white to white pearloid to black pearloid to settling on just black. The white pearloid will always be an old favorite of mine, but for now its the black. Also replaced the stock knobs with the classic chrome dome barrel knobs.

3. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I would recommed trying out as many preamps as possible.
    I put an aggie obp3 in one of my basses, and don't like it.
    I wanted to try something other than the bart pre.
    Now I'm going to switch it to the bart pre.....so my ears and me like the bart pre, you may not.

4. I like an all passive bass, w/ the outboard sadowsky pre.

or onboard sadowsky pre active..

thats a nice pre

5. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    Thanks all that gives me some good info. Having a compartment routed in the back sounds good. Make experimenting like other post suggested much easier. Plus make installing a switch for active/passive easy. That is one thing I like a lot with the MM4 is the active/passive switch.

6. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    J-Retro
    Complete unit (jazz control plate and all), just hook the pups up and drop it in.
    Recommend either Nordstrand or Fralin Noiseless pups.

7. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    There are always a lot of varuiables when you ask a question that has so much to do with personal taste.

To answer the question, I recommend Bartolini - pre and pups.