What Pre is recommended for Dingwall Pickups??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by piper2614, Nov 10, 2005.

1. piper2614

Nov 17, 2004
    Happy Bottom
    hey now, im thinking about upgrading my neckthru schecter with a pair of dingwall fd3 pickups. just curious what the recommended pre is for these pickups. ive read where they are naturally "mid" enhanced persay and wondered if getting a 3 band would be overkill or if it would work. right now im looking at thew aguilar ob2 and ob3 or thinking about a bart. pre. im also curious if the series/parallel version is worth it?. ive had a g&l with the series/ parallel and am somewhat fam. with the tonal aspects of it but wasnt sure how it affected these specific pickups..im willing to drill holes etc. the bass is mohogany with the quilted maple top. thanks in advanced

2. Mike-
    Mr Dingwall himself seems to find the Aggie ob2 & 3 to be the better choices for his pickups.Thats why the aggie pre's are standard equip preamp in his active basses. I'd say thats a great choice.
    However i have also heard of people installing EMG, Bart, and detmer pre's in their Dingwalls and having nothing but great words for their choices.So I suspect you won't go wrong.
    Lastly, i will add, that i have 2 Dingwall basses and honestly i use passive mode 90% of the time becuase the pickups are just that good. In passive -they sound fantastic, have active tone like output (most people think I'm in active all the time) and just kick butt. so consider the ability to switch on/off
  3. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    You've got nothing to lose by trying them passive first. If you then feel there's a little on-board tweakability you'd like to have, get a pre.

As mentioned above, they do have a pretty high output and a lot of "clarity" for a passive pickup.

I put an OBP-3 in my Afterburner1 with FD-3's because I'm very particular about my mids. It sounded very, very good with the stock passive setup, but I really like having the ability to make minor adjustments at the bass because the preamp I use isn't terribly user-friendly.......it's an ADA MB-1, which is programmable; no knobs on the front at all, if you want a touch more mids to get a little more "cut", you'd have to punch some buttons, go into edit mode, etc.......the thing is great for having a bunch of pre-set tones that you can call up, and it sounds great, but it can also be a PIA.
  4. piper2614

Nov 17, 2004
    Happy Bottom
    wow great info. i have a 4 knob setup. as far as passive goes what is recommended v/t v/t ? or are there other configs im not fam. with.. thanks in advanced
  5. martens-koop

Oct 10, 2002
    if you're going to use the Dingwall pickups, you should really try to get a hold of one of his switches too... the switch puts you between Neck, Both Series, Both Parrallel, Bridge. I think that with a v,t v,t setup your stuck in parallel mode, which is a mode that I basically never use on my dingwall... Stay away from blend pots... Its been my experience (and a lot of hearsay) that you lose out a bit on the tone department here..