1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what pre to cop that Stingray tone ??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by NorCal Dog, Sep 10, 2008.

1. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    i've got a beater Fernandes that i use alot on gigs, with a Nordy MM4.2 in it, currently passive.

DSCF0007-5.

i need a good 2 or 3 band pre to put in it to give it that Stingray tone.

what would you put in it ?

J East MMSR, Aguilar OBP-3,, or ???

2. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Although I like the East, it adds too much color to the sound, so maybe an OBP-1 or 3 or maybe an external Tone Hammer would do the trick.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Uh, a pre pulled from an Ernie Ball?

4. funkifiedsoul

funkifiedsoul Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2007
    especially considering it's passive....Sadowski Pre-amp stomp box.

5. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    i'm looking for an aftermarket pre,, as the real deal is hard to find, unless you've got one lying around that you want to part with ? :D

6. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    not looking for stompboxes, been there, done that

i need a good onboard pre for this one

7. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707

i have no experience with the OBP-3,, i've heard it's pretty aggressive

it may be what i'm looking for in this case

8. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    It's a Nordy MM4.2? Why not complement it with a Nordy pre, as well? Supposedly it's a very good combo.

9. basadam

basadam

Nov 29, 2005
    Are you talking about his X-Retro or BTB MMSR? MMSR is designed specifically to "mimic" pre-EB Stingray preamp - not that I tried it. Here it is: http://www.bestbassgear.com/east-musicman-preamp.htm

10. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    the BTB MMSR,,,, the only issue with that pre is, it looks like the pots are ment to mount on a thin plate, instead of thru a wood body, if the threaded shaft on the pots are at least 3/8" it will work without any mods to the body, if it's less than 3/8", i'll have to rout the body to compensate, ( no biggie ), as i'll have to rout anyways for a dual battery box.

has anyone out there in TB land installed the MMSR in their Stingray ?

11. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Have you considered the Seymour Duncan/Basslines preamp? I have one in my fretless and really like it. Heck, they might even sell you the one they make for their MM PUP.

jte

12. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    does anybody here use the STC-3M3 pre ?

13. Jarno

Jarno

Jan 27, 2005
    Does anybody here have the schematic for the MM (either older or newer, 2 or 3 eq)? I wonder what makes them tick. I would expect the pickup to be the biggest influence on the sound, but perhaps a particular choice of centerfrequencies determine the sound.

Best regards,

Jarno.

14. i2k

i2k

Oct 31, 2000
    Indonesia
    I have the preamp schematic & PCB layout of the original pre EB MM...PM me your email address. IMHO it doesn't look like any other preamp.

15. TBer Mikebass has a Valenti with that pickup in the MM position. He has a Sadowsky pre installed, and it just NAILS the MM tone. I would assume the Aguilar OB-1 would be cool also, and lower cost. I don't think the OB-3 or East would be your best option, since hte OB-3 is a touch hi fi to my ear, and the East pre's really have their own voice that doesn't seem to be that close to the MM thing.

The only thing you won't get is the series/parallel/single settings, but the parallel default results in what most consider the 'MM sound'.

16. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    thanks for you're input KJung, will look into both the Sadowsky & the OB-1

17. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    just ordered the Sadowsky pre,, thanks

18. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    here's an update,,

ordered the Sadowsky but with the VTC, & when it came in, i installed it in another bass that i had here that was screaming for a good pre for quite awhile, a Peavey Grind / Nordstrand FatStacks / coil tap. WOW !!! totally transformed this bass.

now back to the Fernandes/ Nordstrand MM4.2,,, ordered & installed an Aggy OBP1 which is a 2 band boost only pre, & it definitely was what i was looking for to cop that stingray tone, it's wired parallel & dialing up the bass control gives it all the added grunt & lows that's been lacking, & dialing up the treble gives it all the definition & clank that's inherent with the stingray tone, ( especially when using a pick ) LOVE THIS BASS :hyper::hyper::hyper:

DSCF0133.

19. twobit

twobit

Nov 3, 2005
    Allen, Texas
    Now we need some sound clips :)