1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What preamp do you use for recordings?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by kueken, Jun 20, 2014.

1. kueken

kueken

Jun 20, 2014
    Ulm, Germany
  2. Ken Morgan

Ken Morgan

Jun 14, 2014
    Midland, TX
    For years I used the A Designs REDDI which I still believe is the gold standard of tube driven DI boxes...

Now, I mic everything... depending on what is called for, either a 2-10 open back Jensen cab or a 4-10...

Plucky The Bassist and TonyP- like this.
  3. Ken Morgan

Ken Morgan

Jun 14, 2014
    Midland, TX
    As for preamp... the usual suspects - API, Neve, A Designs, Avedis, all the usual suspects give great results. When I had my place up and running, my chain was:

REDDI (or Shure SM7) - A Designs Pacifica - console EQ - DAW...

TonyP- likes this.
  4. I've used a little SansAmp Tech 21 pedal set to the "SVT" setting. Simple, effective, one 9 volt battery and you're ready to rock and roll. I've also gone direct into the PA with it live on occasion.

5. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Avalon U5 currently, but I'm going to see how the DI is on my Demeter when it arrives.

6. adi77

adi77 Banned

Mar 15, 2007
    bombay
    right now its the ebs microbass II

7. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    loved the Ag Tone Hammer ... Eden WTDI , PreSonus Tube Studio Channel w/upgraded tube , Line 6 ProHD ... I always have used some kind of pre , ... even an buffered amp line out

8. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    Tubeworks 4001 and a Barber Linden EQ is my desktop rig. Also us ea Tech 21 Leeds (Hiwatt) from time to time.

9. sadowskyguy

sadowskyguy

Dec 24, 2011
    Greenville NC
    Great river mp500nv

10. I use a Universal Audio 6176. It's got an amazing preamp, and also an 1176 compressor. It's like a magic wand on my bass. Also incredible for vocals.

11. 10cc

10cc

Oct 28, 2013
    Early seventies SVT mic'd.

12. morgansterne

morgansterne Geek U.S.A.

Oct 25, 2011
    Cleveland Ohio
    used to be a BBE BMax. I did a whole album that way at home, I tracked trumpet and acoustic guitar during the day but after the kids went to bed I could still do bass tracks. You could get some crazy deep sounds with the maximizer effects.
    These days I use my zoom b3.
    I have an allen and heath zed with hi-z inputs but they don't sound as good as the B3 in my opinion.

13. I also use a B3, it reall is a good interface.

14. i mostly use my BDDI, though i occasionally use the DI from either my Carvin BX500 or my Hartke A-35...

15. Kramsey

Kramsey

Feb 9, 2008
    Denton, TX
    I like running 2 channels when recording

1) Clean channel - goes straight from the bass to an Avalon U5, usually with no EQ. This serves as a baseline for what you are tracking and can be altered/ eq-ed during post-production.

2) Dirty / Colored Channel - comes from the U5 through my pedalboard, including a SansAmp Bass Driver and Aguilar Tone Hammer, and finally into an amp head. This channel is recorded either through the XLR out on the head or by micing a bass cab (could be both depending on how much time you have to devote to bass production). This channel captures the tone that you want for the song.

While the engineer is mixing, he can mix the 2 channels to create the sound that the song needs. Good luck! :thumbsup:

trothwell likes this.
  16. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    For me its almost the same...

REDDI -> to A Designs Pacifica - (Or equivalent at other studios)

GK MB800Fusion -> GK 212(II) -> RE20 (Possibly another condenser) or equivalent

17. shastaband

shastaband Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Eden Navigator Preamp (WP100) directly into DigiDesign 003 interface.

18. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    We try to track "live" in my basement studio as much as possible, but lately I've been tracking direct through a Joe Meek VSQ6 (British Channel) and then re-amping through my SB12 fliptop. Keeps a little garbage out of the drum overheads.

19. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Usually for jamming or working out riffs at home I use my SWR Interstellar Overdrive running direct into my m-box, with a clean DI track and a slightly effected "tubey" track. Ironically, I don't care for the overdrive tones on the IOD, but love it for tubey cleans or set just to the edge of breakup. Just to experiment I tried replacing the 12AX7 with a 12AU7 which cleaned it up a LOT, but now there's almost not enough drive. I think a 12AY7 would be a good compromise, but I don't have any of those on hand.

Now,mMy last studio session was the most convoluted setup I've ever talked an engineer into trying, but it sounded killer at the end of the day.

Track 1: Jensen DI straight off my Geddy Lee jazz bass fitted with Dimarzio Model Js.
    Track 2: Sansamp RBI set to a real grindy OD with lots of presence.
    Track 3 & 4: Two mics on an Ampeg Micro SVT 210 cab, powered by my Verellen Meatsmoke preamp through a 1970s 50W tube power amp.

Sounded amazing. The Meatsmoke ended up getting set fairly clean (much to my dismay, but it sounded the best that way), but blended with the Sansamp and the DI it's got a real gnarly tone.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  20. I have a Palmer PDI05 Stereo Speaker Emulator, which works with line level inputs and doesn't act as a load box. I can plug in any preamp I want and it sounds like it's being mic'ed through a full rig. Right now, I run an Ampeg SVP-Pro into the Palmer and the Palmer into my audio interface. I've AB/ed it with a single 10" mic'ed in a soundproof enclosure and it sounds dead-on.

I typically run the Ampeg/Palmer into one channel and my bass through an Avalon U5 DI into another channel. It sounds awesome. The Avalon takes its signal from the bass before it hits my effects chain, which goes into the Ampeg.

Also had great experiences with Tech 21's DI gear and still use them frequently.

The major issue I've run into is taking too many damn signals and having them not be in phase. Phase cancellation will neuter your tone more than anything else. I like to keep it simple for precisely this reason.

When I'm using stereo effects, things get a little harder.