Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What preamp for fretless bass with passive soapbars???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by FractalUniverse, Jun 4, 2002.

1. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    I was talking with the luthier that made my bass(i bought it used) and he told that the pickups on that bass are similar to bartolinis, the thing that he modified on them is the higher output of 7000 ohm or something like that(the normal output is 4000 ohm aprox.) so this pickups are really heavy sounding because the old owner wanted a heavy sound(heavy but still has a natural sound, not distorted), so in order to produce that sound he used a wood called lingue on the body, that is a really full sounding wood with a lot of lows and lack of highs, and Eucaliptus on the fingerboard, wich is the same thing but with some high frequences.
    I think that the old owner used an external preamp to boost the high frequences....... but i can't remember that. anyway the trebly sound of the bass were in the frets...... when i converted it to fretless it sounded natural and huge but without highs.... that's why he told me to buy an active preamp, or modify the pickups.....

now he told me that the bqc system is a really good preamp but i have my doubts...... opinions?????

PD: I'm going to install it this saturday, so give your opinions quick.

The homepage of my luthier is orrego.com, there are some pics of recent works. He is really well known where i live(Chile, south america).

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    My girlfriend and a good friend are Chilean!

Ive heard that EMG has a reputation for strong trebble response, but I cant tell you for sure. Sorry, I cant help much.

Peace
    Nick

3. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Bartolini NTMB TC5Z or TBIBT. I think ; )
    Try:
    www.bartolini.net and contact them directly.

4. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    Nick man: man that's cool(about your chilean friends)
    I think that the bqc system is made by EMG, that's what you mean, or dou you think i must replace the pickups.

ZuluFunk:thanks for the info

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Yeah thats what I mean.

I think that pretty much any preamp should be good, but I know that EMG has a reputation for a lot of trebble.

Oh yeah and the BTC preamp can be installed in place of your tone control, plus it has some switches in the back that you can use to change the frequency of the treble control.

I think that If you get a preamp you shouldnt need new pickups, but you might.

Worst thing that could happen is that you'll end up with new pickups and a preamp.

Peace
    Nick

6. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    thanks for answering. i hope everything will end well.