Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What preamp for my Yamaha

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Mikkel-S, Feb 8, 2002.

1. Mikkel-S

Mikkel-S Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Herning, Denmark
    Yeah....i hate to admit it but my recently bought Yamaha TRB-6 hisses alot!:(

So is it the preamp? If it is.....what brand should i look for?

2. I have experience with 2 aftermarket preamps. First is the Carvin - for the money this is a great deal on a very versatile piece that's got great engineering and execution. It's got bass boost/cut, mid boost/cut, treble boost/cut, volume, and pickup sweep with a pull pot for passive. I installed one of these on a friends Samick fretless 5 a couple of months ago and it made that bass sing!! Go to www.carvin.com and follow the links.

The second preamp is one that I've just gotten and installed on my Fender Jazz and that's a J-Retro preamp designed by John East in England. Whoa baby - this thing RAWKS! bass boost only, mid boost/cut, mid frequency sweep, treble boost/cut, active/passive switch, brite switch, and pup sweep. All of this comes on a Fender Jazz bell plate and installs without mods. Very cool and probably the best aftermarket preamp on the market. For your Yamaha, they make the same circuitry in what is called the U-Retro. It's designed for basses that don't use the standard Jazz pot arrangement. You can also get a stompbox version of this preamp if you don't want to mod your instrument. By the way, you've got to try this one with your stock pups. These preamps are known to make less-than-expensive pups sound tremendous. Go to www.vintagebass.com for the website of the American Distributor of the Retro line.

good luck

3. It hisses huh? Shielding maybe? Poor selection of IC's on the board? change the value of some of the capacitors, or include a small (picofarads) capacitor across the output to stop that RF hiss??

Bleh i have no idea and i had a late night. lol

:D:D

Merls

4. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    All due respect, I don't believe a Carvin preamp replacment would be an upgrade on a TRB. While the Carvin may be "quieter" does that make it better? I also own a TRB and noticed the hiss gets pretty much eliminated when the pan pot is at the center detent. I really like my TRB and would love to find a simple solution to this, short of preamp replacment.

So that's where you got your avatar!!

5. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    ive heard nothing but good things about aguilar's pre-amps. peace;)

6. Tom7

Tom7 I'm so bright, my mom called me son! ;-)

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
  7. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Thanks Tom.

8. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Tom,lesflenut, I think you have misconstrued the question. It is not a bass preamp that is wanted, but a replacement preamp for the bass itself. For an active bass. Or a solution to the TRB preamp/pick up noise.

9. Tom7

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Well, maybe I have two problems then: misunderstanding the question AND the bass.

As I wrote, this is an OUTBOARD preamp. The Nathan East bass is active, so I assumed there was a way to bypass the internal preamp and go with a clean sounding outboard preamp ... on his bass and on yours. With those assumptions, I held this out as a possible solution.

However, you are right: the better thing is to clean up the preamp in the bass itself. Have you tried contacting your vendor or Yamaha yet? I haven't head that this is a common problem with Yamaha basses. If it is a defect (not a "feature") of your bass, they may be willing to fix it.

Apologies if you've tried that already and I missed it... and for the confusion for that matter. :)

10. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Ok! Got to come clean here. My bass is pretty quiet. I used it in my very first time in a studio last night. Didn't have any problems. Very well behaved. My TRB was giving me a little trouble this past week. Well, of course I threw in a new battery before I went to the studio. Problem solved. I missed the "outboard" part of your message. I think it is the older TRB's that have a reputation for being noisy. I think the newer ones, mine included, have been upgraded. Thanks for your input.

11. Tom7

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Well, all this has me thinking... can you use an outboard preamp with a bass that already has active electronics? Is that what Nathan East does when he uses his bass and the preamp?

I've never used an outboard preamp and reading these reviews, I am genuinly curious about the outboard preamp.

12. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    I would have to say yes, why not? You always have a preamp in front of your amp, even for active basses. Some have seperate jacks or gain adjustments for active/passive. I am really not much of a techy though so I could be totally off bass(ha ha). I have a Zoom 708 bass effects unit that I run in front of my preamp. It has output and gain controll. Isn't the 708 basically a preamp? :confused:

13. i've just received an offer for a TRB-5 with the "newer" electronics that "don't hiss" according to what some people in this thread say.

the offer is $450, good, eh?

14. My RBX765 hums but doesn't hiss. Especially when I turn up the treble. Or favor one pup over the other. Could that just be the pups? Or is a shielding job in order?

15. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Chris, I am not familiar with that bass. Is it active or passive? when my battery was weak, maxing the pot one way or the other would make the bass "hum". Hum or hiss, they are both noise. Any bass that has the treble maxed will hiss to some degree I believe. Try replacing the battery.

Aftermath, Are you buying or selling. The way your wording it, it sounds like you are selling aTRB for $450.00. That is a great purchase price for a TRB in good shape IMO.
    Bizz

16. Aftermath???...haha:rolleyes:

No I am buying it off someone and they are selling it to me for $450. The guy says that it is in good shape, only that it has a couple dings on it (which doesn't bother me). The guy said that it had the "new" electronics (3-band EQ) and the neck was in great shape.

So are you guys saying that the TRB-5 hisses or hums when you turn the treble all the way up?

17. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    I would buy it if I didn't already have one. I love my TRB. Make sure it is the 35 inch scale and go try it out....... Update on TRB noise. With a fresh battery, and the pan pot leaning more than 3/4 fore or aft, I get a hum that gets louder the more the pot is leaning in one direction. At center detent no hum at all. This by no means makes it unplayable.

18. It's the same bass that the guy from Dream Theatre has minus 1 string and a few other little details. It is active. You're probably right about the battery. This one is getting kinda old. Thanks guys.

19. D. Matthews

D. Matthews

Apr 16, 2001
    Canada
    My TRB-JP starts to hiss only when the battery gets low. Try changing it if you haven't already done so.

20. would a Bartolini NTMB 3-band EQ fit well into the Yamaha TRB-5 configuration...i will be getting a TRB-5 pretty soon for a good deal, and if the electronics do act up (hiss or hum), then I will change it.

:)