Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what preamp replacement is best for a carvin?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Schwinn, Apr 26, 2004.

1. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I was thinking about upgrading electronics in my XB75p this summer, as well as replacing the bridge. Just wanted to hear any experience from carvin users that have swapped on-board preamps. Of course, I was thinking Bart or Aguilar, but what do you think would be best? I'm open to anything at this point - just brainstorming.

I'll take it to a tech if it turns out to be more of a job than I can handle, but I also like to try electronics jobs myself for the learning experience.

2. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Right now there is a Bart 59J in the neck position and a Carvin HB5 in the bridge, but I will likely swap the HB5 for a Bart DL stingray-type if I can get one.

3. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I have Bart pickups in my fretless LB76, and right now it's wired passive J-bass style (the original Carvin preamp frizzled out some time ago and I never bothered replacing it (also several years out of warranty.)) I've been thinking of a Bart preamp to match, but that's still a maybe at this point. Whichever preamp I get though, it's gonna have a variable midrange control of some sort so I can dial in some extra pinpoint growl on the fly, as needed.

4. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Well after doing some research it looks like the Aguilar OBP-3 is what I'm looking for. That should be nice with Bart pickups.

5. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I installed the OBP-3 with some Bart soapbars a few weeks ago and it sounded good (very similar to the Bart 3-band). Both the Bart and Aguilar 3-band pre's are very aggressive are capable of coloring up the sound a great deal. If you're going for more of a flat sound, you should check out the Demeter BEQP-1 pre. It's really a warm sounding pre. Not as much high and mid boost as the Bart and Aguilar but not as harsh sounding either. You can order it with a mid switch which greatly varies the mid boost capability. With Bart P/U's though, it's hard to beat a Bart peramp. :)

6. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Yea, I'm planning on replacing the pre on my 55-01 w/ a Bart NTMB here in a couple of weeks. I can't wait.