what preamp replacement is best for a carvin?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Schwinn, Apr 26, 2004.

1. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I was thinking about upgrading electronics in my XB75p this summer, as well as replacing the bridge. Just wanted to hear any experience from carvin users that have swapped on-board preamps. Of course, I was thinking Bart or Aguilar, but what do you think would be best? I'm open to anything at this point - just brainstorming.

I'll take it to a tech if it turns out to be more of a job than I can handle, but I also like to try electronics jobs myself for the learning experience.
  2. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Right now there is a Bart 59J in the neck position and a Carvin HB5 in the bridge, but I will likely swap the HB5 for a Bart DL stingray-type if I can get one.
  3. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I have Bart pickups in my fretless LB76, and right now it's wired passive J-bass style (the original Carvin preamp frizzled out some time ago and I never bothered replacing it (also several years out of warranty.)) I've been thinking of a Bart preamp to match, but that's still a maybe at this point. Whichever preamp I get though, it's gonna have a variable midrange control of some sort so I can dial in some extra pinpoint growl on the fly, as needed.
  4. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Well after doing some research it looks like the Aguilar OBP-3 is what I'm looking for. That should be nice with Bart pickups.
  5. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    I installed the OBP-3 with some Bart soapbars a few weeks ago and it sounded good (very similar to the Bart 3-band). Both the Bart and Aguilar 3-band pre's are very aggressive are capable of coloring up the sound a great deal. If you're going for more of a flat sound, you should check out the Demeter BEQP-1 pre. It's really a warm sounding pre. Not as much high and mid boost as the Bart and Aguilar but not as harsh sounding either. You can order it with a mid switch which greatly varies the mid boost capability. With Bart P/U's though, it's hard to beat a Bart peramp. :)
  6. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Yea, I'm planning on replacing the pre on my 55-01 w/ a Bart NTMB here in a couple of weeks. I can't wait.