1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What preamp to go with Suhr J pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TDR1138, Feb 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    I have a Fender MIM Deluxe Jazz with the older Suhr pickups. I'm thinking of replacing the preamp. The stock one seems a little lifeless to me.

I'm looking at the Nordstrand and the OBP-3, so wanted thoughts on those, but other suggestions as well.

From what I know of the Nordstrand, it was modeled to sound like a Sadowsky but with cut option as well, plus mids.

From what I read about the OBP, it's more aggressive, which I think I might like, but I'm worried that the treble frequency would be too high for my tastes and I keep reading that they're super-sensitive to adjustments, which seems like it would be a negative.

With the OBP, is there a way to tame the sensitivity, like using different value pots or something (25k)?

For the Nordstrand, it seems like the safer bet, but will it be too safe?

Anyone have experience with these combined with the Suhr pickups?

Any other preamps that I should be considering?

For what it's worth, I mainly play L-2000s and P basses, so those are the tones I'm more comfortable with, hence liking the idea of the aggressive nature of the OBP. Looking for 3-band because I want mid control. I am not looking for the Marcus tone. Budget is in the sub-$200 range.

2. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I really like the Suhrs with the Sadowsky.

Ukiah Bass likes this.
  3. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    So, is that a vote for the Nordstrand, or the actual Sadowsky pre?

I'm a little hesitant to have only a 2-band, because I feel like mids on a J really make a difference cutting through.

I have played the Sadowsky on a P, and it was sublime...

4. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Actual Sadowsky.

5. Freez

Freez

Nov 8, 2008
    Detroitish
    Are you looking to keep it active? I gutted my MiM Jazz Deluxe and put in Fender CS 60's and a prewired Switchcraft control plate I bought for $35. Sounds incredible now!

6. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    Yeah, thinking I'd keep it active. Passive switching would be nice, but I'd probably use it more as a fail safe mode.

7. liveburning274

liveburning274

Mar 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    Another vote for the Sadowsky pre. The use of the tone knob helps in a really pleasant way with mids. I'm enjoying mine!

8. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    Well, two votes for the Sadowsky (thanks for that). Any other thoughts?

9. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

May 10, 2006
    I have a Sadowsky pre in a 1996 Fender American Jazz Deluxe 5. Had the Suhr pickups and replaced them with Fralins. There was marginal improvement in tone, slightly more modern. But nothing dramatic. Installing the Sadowsky pre will be a major step up!