What Preamp??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bonzai, Jan 24, 2003.

1. Bonzai

Dec 6, 2002
    Hello everyone. I am writing to see if anybody could help me out by giving their opinion. I have a Modulus Q6 on order right now and once it arrives I am gonna build up my amp rig. I'm really thinking about Accugrooves because the next bass I buy will be a 7 string. My question is about what preamp you would use in my situation?

I'm thinking of going with a QSC PLX 2402 to power the El Whappo and a Whappo Grande in the future. The Eden Navigator is a very appealing preamp to me because of the variety of connections it has and I've always liked Eden gear. What pre would you use in my situation? There are so many good ones out there its hard to choose.

Also, would I be able to run the QSC mono driving just the El Whappo until I'm able to buy the Grande?

Thanks for all the help:)
  2. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

I assume that you are already familiar with the sound of graphite necks. They can sound a bit cold to some. Because of that I would pair it with a very warm sounding pre-amp. Personally, I wouldn't match it with an Eden. I would check out an Aguilar DB659, Kern IP-777, or one of the Demeters. All have a very warm, full, clear sound with great harmonic character.
  3. Bonzai

Dec 6, 2002
    Thanks BFunk for your reply. I've been checking out the preamps you suggested and they all look great. Given their reputations, it all comes down to personal preference as they are all high quality products.

Which would you suggest for a jazz R&B type sound? The Aguilar comes to mind first off but I also notice from searching the threads that the Kern has lots of really thick tone as well. Being in the Midwest its hard for me to try some of these products. Not many boutique dealers out here.

Thanks for anyones replys.
  4. Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Go with an Eden Navigator+Eden WT 1000:YOU 'LL BE SOOOOOOOO HAPPY!!!!Trust me;)
  5. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Tone-wise, the Kern should be the warmest of the batch mentioned so far (with the Quantum, esp. if it has EMG pu's--IMO, they need a warm, fat front end; if it has Barts, either Kern, Agie, or Alembic should sound good). Mainly depends on what type of sound you're after.
  6. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    I'd strongly suggest the Aguilar DB680 - you CAN find them used. I've never heard a Modulus sound better than through this preamp. It retains all of the snappy, punchy, groovy Mod sound, but instead of being a little too bright and annoying, the brightness somehow becomes subtle compexities in the sound that are addictive. Makes other things sound boring.

wow, i should be in marketing.

oh wait.

i am.

7. Bonzai

Dec 6, 2002
    Yeah vanselus. I've really been looking at the DB680 on Aguilars site the last couple days. The more I look at it the more I realize its the preamp for me! My Mod has Bart pickups on it and the DB680 with a QSC PLX2402 and an El Whappo cab should be soundin real good to my ears:D

Ever since I heard John Patitucci on the Abercrombie Project recording, I've had serious GAS for the Aguilar sound. Love that album...
  8. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    seriously though, if you have a little patience, there's used ones to be readily had. I got mine for about $800 and I saw one the other day for around the same price...

good luck
  9. I have an Aguilar DB 659 and it sounds amazing. Sure, it doesn't have a parametric EQ or any sort of bells and whistles, but those things really aren't necassary. So far, I've been keeping the EQ totally flat, and it's exactly the sound I want.
  10. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    I too used to have the DB659 - but unlike you the sound wasn't exactly what I wanted. However, it's not the parametric EQ that made the difference. The DB659 and DB680 are COMPLETELY different animals - while the 659 sounds really clear and nice, the 680 adds a lot of midrange "complexity" and even more warmth & "tubeiness" to the sound. They really sound amazingly different - its worth it to try both to see which you like better.
  11. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I have a Zon & a Modulus and using nickel coated strings warms them up a bit also.
  12. i, too was going to recommend the F-1x. It is rich and tubey, with complexities that the accu will be able to translate to the ears. I really dig both of the aggie pres, but to me with a bright bass, the alembic is fabulous.

either way you decide, i am GREEN with envy!
  13. Bonzai

Dec 6, 2002
    Thanks everyone for all the replys. The DB680 sounds really good to me and I'm pretty sure thats what I'll end up going with. That tubey sound is gonna be great.

What kind of slap tones has anyone gotten out of the DB680?
  14. Bon,
    I live in NW Indiana too. You should take a trip up to Chicago to Make N Music 312-455-1970.
    I know they have Aguilar and sometimes Kern. I don't think they carry Demeter which I own. They have the most of the HiFi stuff or can get it. It's not that far.

Take 94 north or Tollway and get into the Loop, get off on Randolf going west go past the United Center to Western Ave. Turn right (north) to Lake St., turn left (west) to Artesian you can only go right, you'll see the Store, they have to buzz you though the electric security gate. Very cool place. Ask for John, Howard, Sean, or Greg (the owner). T
  15. Bonzai

Dec 6, 2002
    Thanks Big String! Me and my bro will have to head up there this weekend. Its always great to meet other TB'ers in the area. Hopefully they have a DB680 in stock. Gotta love that thick tube tone:D

Thanks again for the info:) Where do you gig at mostly?
  16. Gregory Bruce Campbell

Gregory Bruce Campbell

Apr 14, 2002
    Helena, MT U.S.A 59602
    BEE basses, Morley pedals
    Personally I. Use a pair of Accu Groove El whappos...

I have two of the earliest ones made!

That was one hunch and impulsive whim that will never forget!!!! Man am I lucky! ;)

Any way, I power it with a Stewart 2.1 as recommended by Accu Groove.

And for my tailoring devices I use an APHEX 207 as my pre-amp, and I put the APHEX 204 into the inserts...

This is the most versatile and greatest sounding rig I have ever heard!

My good friend Stew has the FIRST Grande and loves it!

I think I may add the Accu groove 18" SUB cabs with another Stewart 2.1 when I can afford to do so.
  17. Bonzai

Dec 6, 2002
    Thanks for the reply Greg. I was thinking Aguilar because I was wanting something that would soften the attack of the graphite neck. My Mod has barts which is good for that too. I've been really seriously thinking about the Aguilar DB680 with Accugroove cabs. But right now my decision is between an El Whappo paired with a Gordo or Whappo Grande, or the Dickens 212 with a Dickens sub. Going to power them with QSC PLX power as well. Gotta love those speakon connections. What is your opinion on the differences between the Dickens cabs and the Whappos??
  18. Gregory Bruce Campbell

Gregory Bruce Campbell

Apr 14, 2002
    Helena, MT U.S.A 59602
    Of course you know they all sound great!

I did not personally play and get to test the Dickens signature cabs when I was at namm the way I would have loved to do...

But I really love the El Whappos...

I do wish to add the gordos sometime as well!

I would say read the specs at the site and consider how low your bass needs to go...

It would be more appropriate for me personally to use the grandes when I can add...

But I have heard the gordos, and I sounds incredible!

A pair of el Whappos, and a pair of gordos...

KILLER system!

Also make sure you end up powering the cabs correctly!

19. Bonzai

Dec 6, 2002
    Yep two Whappos and two Gordos would be serious seismic activity! You gotta let us know when you get that setup.

I plan on using a QSC PLX 2402 for the Whappos run stereo. It has speakon connectors plus plenty of power for those hogs!:)

Why did you choose to go with the 207?? What made the decision for you?
  20. Gregory Bruce Campbell

Gregory Bruce Campbell

Apr 14, 2002
    Helena, MT U.S.A 59602
    The 207 was pure and simple!

I needed stereo, tube, and as few bells and whistles as possible...

My rig is complex enough as it is when i play solo...

The fewer the buttons faders etc the better...

And then I got the thing and hooked it all up!

I am just blown away !!!!!!!!!

I think the 204 is a NECCESITY for anyone!!! and the 207 wouldn't be the same without it!

Tonight is my first gig with the APHEX gear..

And i can't wait to light it up!!!

I will more than likely get fired from this band... LOL