Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what price for this bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FractalUniverse, Jul 30, 2004.

1. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    ok, i need you to put a price to this bass

it's an alder body with 3 tone sunburst
    white pickguard
    a set of dimarzio model js
    a solid steel bridge
    string thru
    moses graphite (mm/g&l shape list price us395)
    someone told me that the tuners are schaller, but i don't know.... they are good thought...
    theres an scratch in a side of the bass..i want to take a picture of it...maybe tomorrow.

the bass is heavy and has a heavy sound, it's between flea and marcus miller, i would throw a preamp thought, that would be really cool. it also has lots of gain, and it loves to kill guitarists egos.

i have an uncle from miami, and he is coming, i want him to take it and sell it there. my reason for selling it is because i really want a double bass and it's too damn expensive here, and i'm going to start classes soon, with or without it...so i need extra help... :bawl: :help: :help: :help:
    thanks.

edit:can't post the pics files are too large

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    No brand? Who assembled it?

3. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    uh, forgot important info
    the body is made by aria.... i bought it cause it's good quality alder
    a local luthier made the work
    i bought a bass long time ago that had the moses neck.
    where's an online gallery when you need it!

edit: quick answers by the way, you guys don't have social life. (just kidding) :bag: :bag: :bag: :ninja:

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Since its kind of random.. id say maybe $200? $300? I almost think you'd make more selling the parts individually..

5. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Yep, I'd have to agree. Without a solid brand name, you won't be able to get very much.

6. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    uhm... i hope my uncle sells it in a music store...
    and it sounds good and plays good... so what would be the problem.
    i don't want to sell it at an extremely expensive price, but i don't want also to get no money for it.
    and you people haven't seen pictures yet... i'm trying to put the pictures online.....

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    People pay for brand names. Sad but true. It doesnt matter if it plays/sounds like butter, wont get much.

8. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    If it played like a sadowsky I would pay 600 cdn for it. If it plays like an american Jazz I wouldn't give you more than 300. If it plays like anything else I don't even know what I'd pay.

9. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Online, you will get around $300 for that. In a store, you might get more if you find a buyer that is really impressed with it. Right or wrong, people want brand names. If a person knows that a new bass will cost $1000, then they can justify spending $600 on a used bass. If the bass is completely unknown, then they assume the lowest possible value.

Remember that you can get a used MIM Fender which also looks good in pictures for $250 used. Your bass is certainly worth more, but there is no way for someone online to verify that before purchasing.

BTW, if I were to value your bass, I'd do it this way:

$150 for the neck
    $50 for the body
    $50 for the electronics
    $30 for the bridge
    $30 for the tuners

Grand total: $310

Please don't take this as an insult. It is a beautiful bass. I'm sure it is an excellent bass, but unfortunately, this analysis is the type of thing that a prospective buyer will do.