1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What price is too low to sell, make it wall paper instead?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bredian, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Bredian

Bredian

Apr 22, 2011
    I tend to buy inexpensive basses IF they look interesting, keep them if they play well, even if I have to get them set up, and invest a few dollars in pups and electronics. Occasionally some don't make the cut.

The Spector C5 and the Hagstrom 8.... both Korean made, both anchor weight with mediocre electronics left my collection for a few hundred each. The Hag would have made an interesting wall hanging as it was white, perfect and has a really nice head stock.

So the latest experiment is a beautiful red T bird I picked up.... didn't like the balance so it's not a player for me...(plays great and sounds great)... getting low balled on CL.... so I'm thinking

If you can't give me $XXX, I'm making it wallpaper for now. DSCF7251.JPG

(I have a 20 year old bass playing son and a 10 year old with a 3/4 strat and Ibanez 3/4 bass....it will get used and loved)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Are you hoping someone here makes you an offer?

3. Bredian

Bredian

Apr 22, 2011

No, sorry that wasn't my point. (I removed all pricing information) I maybe should have posted in "humor" but seriously, I'm just gonna keep it.

I'm surprised at people on CL as they just throw out low ball offers without looking, playing, etc. Of course I do it on TB no problem. lol.

The offer made me rethink it. I've regretted about 1/2 my sales.

4. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    People will often throw out extreme lowballs because they are hoping to expose just how desperate a seller might be. It happens on everything, not just instruments.

Even if only one out of 20 or even 50 sellers bite, that's still one super deal scored.

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    There are basses that only worth selling locally, or maybe just taking to a pawnshop or GC. Since shipping has gotten so expensive, I wouldn't sell anything under $400 online if I am expected to cover shipping.

6. photogdude

photogdude ustonsucs Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, Tx
    you could always donate it

7. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    It's a pretty bass. If it were me, I would hang her up unless I was desperate for money/ funding new bass.

8. That describes craigslist. If you are selling on there just post your lowest price and say your firm. If you get a lower offer emailed to you then just delete it. If you get a trade delete it. Never post your number on craigslist, people will call you offering a weed-whacker or half a bag of dog food. I will have stuff on craigslist less than 24 hours and sells and sometimes (rarely) it takes 6 months, I have always said the average time is likely to be 6 weeks to move stuff at a price you want. The key with selling anything is patience, unless you want to take a lowball.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
    StevieMac likes this.
  9. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I'm not sure I understand what you are asking.

Everyone has their own price point and it will vary depending on their financial circumstances, sentimentality, or willingness to cut losses and move on without regret.

The fact that you have regrets about letting things go just means you sold too low. Learn your lesson and don't sell so cheap next time.

I just don't understand what you hope to gain by asking this. None of the answers should be relevant to you.

10. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    My wife and son are both musicians also (and both WAY better than I'll ever hope to be) and she converted a spare bedroom into a "music room" for us to use for practicing, for keeping our instruments in, etc. Not that it's extensively decorated, but she has hung a few music-related posters and a couple of old, small instruments on the walls. Since there's nothing f-clef related in there right now, I wouldn't mind hanging up a bass that I'll never be able to sell for enough to make it worth while - I do have one.

11. StevieMac

StevieMac

Mar 17, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    ^ THIS, absolutely THIS.

12. Bredian

Bredian

Apr 22, 2011

Why THANK YOU for making that decision for me.

As I mentioned in a subsequent post, I should have maybe posted in "Humor" as then it would be more obvious that is was meant for a laugh.

I did pickup a few useful tips from the responses. including yours.

Related, a friend of mine buys guitars to decorate the walls of his architecture office. Writes them off. Plays them occasionally to keep them in tune.

Rather than take a low ball, I should either keep and decorate or donate and take the writeoff for the acquisition cost.

13. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    We seem to be miscommunicating.

I did not make a decision, I was expressing my confusion at your question.

Sorry.