What price will you pay for a Custom Shop bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ChainGang70, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    I will never buy a Custom Shop bass. I can afford it but I really don't see that you get tone and playability that are worth twice as much as an MIA Standard.

Ace Of Bass likes this.
  2. I have had several basses over the past 25 years and since I purchased that Custom Shop Precision closet classic pro 2011, I only have one Bass and that's her!

Really stunning! Neck is perfect, straight and it plays like a dream. I purchased her used so I did not pay the full asking price.

I love my Custom Shop. Truly worth it, every penny!

B-line and eigentone like this.
  3. nonohmic

nonohmic

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    I'd love a custom shop, but realistically a Nash or an American select P would be just as good , for half the price.

4. Whitenoise17

Whitenoise17

Aug 6, 2016
    East Side
    Personally, I would pay no more than 700 for a Fender custom shop bass, but Fender would never let me lol

Son of Wobble likes this.
  5. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496

Dec 14, 2014
    No. Think about it. Let's say you paid $250 for a Fender 52 years ago. You put it up for sell today. The bass may be worth $5000. You'll only get $3500 - $4000 for it... maybe. That's not a good investment. A good investment would be you buying the bass of your dreams and playing it; not treating it like it's investment.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  6. Whitenoise17

Whitenoise17

Aug 6, 2016
    East Side
    Very true. Basses are not simply collectibles to keep and later sell for a profit. Basses, along with other instruments, are like living, breathing things.
    You don't choose the perfect bass for yourself; the perfect bass chooses you. I experienced this with my Ibanez GSR206B- as soon as I picked her up off the rack in my nearest guitar center, I new she was the one. She was just waiting for the right player, and that was me. God bless the low end!

gjohnson441496 likes this.
  7. 4001

4001 Inactive

Sep 29, 2004
    Lake County, IL
    The thing is, to me, you have to somehow be able to play a few CS basses without knowing that they are in fact, CS basses.
    Don't want the "CS" tag to help influence any decisions...:eek:

I just don't think they are worth the $$$ but that is just my opinion.

No way to know what someone would be willing to pay for one many years down the line but if you keep it in mint condition it should hold it's value for awhile..

8. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    The money you pay is more on the name Fender Custom Shop than the Material and build quality.

9. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    You're right, the best way to select a CS as "the one" would be in a blind test, so as to safeguard against selection bias.

As for "holding value," unfortunately Fender CS fare can depreciate greatly once driven off the lot. There was a beautiful precision CS heavy relic that listed for, I think, 5,200 U.S. when new, and it sat unsold for the better part of a year on CL L.A. for three grand.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  10. And there are people who feel along the lines of:

I will never buy a MIA bass. I can afford it but I really don't see that you get tone and playability that are worth twice as much as a MIM Standard.
    or

I will never buy a MIM bass. I can afford it but I really don't see that you get tone and playability that are worth twice as much as a Squier.

Nothing wrong with that. That's why Fender and others cater to many price tiers.

ajkula66 likes this.
  11. I have a Select J. It's nice and all, but on the same general quality level as the American Vintage IMO. The CS just feels and sounds like a cut above both AV and Select. Between Select and AV, I actually preferred the AV.

Nash isn't highly regarded for the $ in all of my circles. Try before you buy.

12. B-line

B-line Inactive

FCS seems to always get a pretty good beat-down on TB, (along with a good number of fans too, to be fair.)
    The "beat-downers" always seem to insist that you're paying far too much for too little; the fans seem to love their instruments, so.... No real answer to the OP, except pay for whatever instrument moves you, irregardless of its bargain basement or high-end price tag.

Me, I LOVED my FCS (kinda wish I never sold her, but times were tough then and Credit Card debts piled up!)
    I totally felt that it was an outstanding bass, not relic'd, and had better wood choice, a great nitro finish, and a very kewl RSD bridge, aside from it's totally awesome build. Above all sounded and felt great, which really is ALL that ever matters to me in an instrument.
    Waiting for a delayed delivery, I had a chance to chat with some FCS staffers, and they were very much into, and took pride in, what they build there- Not a Fender rip-off operation ,as some seem to think, at all.

They sent me swag and I was invited to come down for a tour.

If that isn't enough, I've seen the FCS NAMM models (at NAMM:cool:) and Master Builders like Jason Smith, and Dennis G. do incredible work, absolutely stunning.

So I'm a fan of FCS, and think them good investments in that the right one for YOU will give you much pleasure of ownership and years of playing happiness.
    My .02 YMMV, IMO.

eigentone and Son of Wobble like this.
  13. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    IDK.

After almost four decades of playing bass, I don't think that I could comfortably state that I'd never buy a XYZ instrument. I've surprised myself way too many times in the past.

Obviously, YMMV.

14. nonohmic

nonohmic

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Interesting. Man it's really hard to get a read on these! Some people swear by them...then some people say stuff like this. I guess yeah, as you say, try before you buy.

15. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    Barring anything outlandish, I'd be very interested if I could get something custom built by Fender for around $2K. Something along the lines of the Fender Design Experience, only with alot more choices... neck profiles, body colors, gold hardware, inlays\binding, # of strings, etc.

16. Yeah, Nash seems to get a lot of love in Tele circles. I've seen quite a few people in offset circles just tear them down (cheap imported hardware, frets that cut). I remember reading a particularly brutal tear-down.

17. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Fender Design Experience was suspended, wasn't it? How long did that that sales program last?

18. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496

Dec 14, 2014
    Yep. Gibson - That's a name with a price tag. Hand Wound - That's another. Sears Silvertone - Saw one the other day for $2500 with the case/amp.

19. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    I'd pay $4000 if I was serious about playing electric bass. I paid $2000 for my sadowsky because it was used and a bass model of a custom bass I can't justify buying.

20. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    Started as a walk-in service for Fender factory tours in... 2011, I think, and went to the internet in 2013...? The walk-in version offered alot more choices than the web version and was in my price range of around $2K.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021