What price will you pay for a Custom Shop bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ChainGang70, Jun 12, 2017.

1. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    I once had an Alembic Orion, lefty. I attended NAMM in Nashville and asked the Fender guys about a lefty Roscoe Beck. They replied that the custom shop would have to make it, so $3500. For that price I could find another Alembic.

2. Joeykun

Joeykun pronounced ジョーイくん

Jun 22, 2007
    MA - RT. 2
    Endorsing Artist: SADOWSKY GENZLER DARKGLASS TEMPLEBOARDS KIRLIN CABLE RIGHTON STRAPS
    Buy a Metroline Sadowsky and it would blow away the F'der Custom Shop.
    Or, go for a NYC Sadowsky made to your desire for a true Custom Shop bass!

barginkov and MMiller28 like this.
  3. It's now branded as the Mod Shop:
    http://shop.fender.com/en-US/mod-shop/

The Mod Shop offers additional options. I also get somewhat regular emails which announce new options.

gjohnson441496 and Son of Wobble like this.
  4. Ace Of Bass

Ace Of Bass A Rooster Illusion

Jun 27, 2006
    DC
    But the Alembic wouldn't be a lefty Roscoe Beck, now would it....? $3500 seems like a fair price to have a well made instrument made to sound and feel just the way you like it....guys are out here dropping $7k plus
    on basses nowadays...

B-line likes this.
  5. Ace Of Bass

Ace Of Bass A Rooster Illusion

Jun 27, 2006
    DC
    What's truer than an actual Custom Shop..?And why would it blow away FCSbasses...?Because somehow Sadowskys are waaay better..?:thumbsdown:...Cause Roger Sadowsky made it..?...Because you say so..?.Help me out..

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
    B-line and mdogs like this.
  6. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    If I was 20 years younger making what I make now I would be glad to order a custom shop Fender. My first (of a few) would be a lefty sunburst Mustang bass. I would want the bass to feel vintage and broken in but now "new old stock" i.e. built in scratches and dents. That would be my job. A rare animal indeed. I talked to a guitar builder and he quoted me around $1,000 just for the bass. I think that's very fair.

My next bass would be a copy of my Ibanez SR500 lefty with active PU's in mahogany stain with one of those fancy dark brown three tone necks. I love my Ibby. I would say about $1,200 for that one. I don't see myself spending as much on a bass that I could buy an electric car.

7. I am a hardcore Fender guy and about 2 years ago I bit the bullet and got a killer deal on a Fender custom shop Fretless jazz....to say I was disappointed is an understatement. The build quality, fit and finish was awful. Sorry Fender but you let a lemon slip by. I sold it within a week...that buyer sold it within 2 weeks.

From that day on I have been totally content with Fender American Standard Jazz basses. Actually I was before this purchase but I thought I had paid my dues and "deserved" a custom shop.

Live and learn. I'll take an ASJB over any other bass, any day!

Son of Wobble and Ace Of Bass like this.
  8. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    I spent $2000 on a used one and probably wouldn't go much higher. It is a pretty nice bass though. I was glad to acquire it. You can get good used deals if you are patient and keep checking online. I think I got a good deal.

IMG_3140.JPG

Son of Wobble and Ace Of Bass like this.
  9. For me, I can't see the point of say a cs sunburst rosewood fingerboard Jazz that is essentially a very well tweaked Fender American Professional Jazz which retails for around $1550.00. I would just buy the American Pro and have my Luthier do a fret dress and setup. (He can make the cheapest bass play like BUTTER.) If I had the cash and the desire, I'd order something that was exactly what I wanted and would never consider its' resale value.

Son of Wobble likes this.
  10. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    "Because you deserve the very best" is indeed an effective upsell technique.

11. Pops OB

Pops OB

Nov 4, 2016
    Custom shop? I'll see what I charge as soon as I get to my garage.

Son of Wobble likes this.
  12. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    @Joeykun is on the money. You have to play one to understand.

Joeykun and barginkov like this.
  13. krovx

krovx Thump or Bust Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    Walked into my local GC a few years ago and there was the most beautiful JB. Picked it up, must have been a bit over 7 lbs. Everything about it was amazing. Sales guy who knows me, saw me grinning and came over and asked me how I liked the custom shop Jazz. I looked at the headstock and sure enough it was. Some guy traded it in...probably the best JB I had ever touched. They wanted $1700 for it. It was in mint shape. Came in the next day and it was gone... :(

I still think of that bass. I assume that is what CS is meant to be: best of the best in wood and fit with hardware to boot. That isn't to say other MIA and MIJ can't be as good. I am cheap and like to play before I buy high end stuff. Not sure if I would ever pay money for a commissioned build. 1500ish is the most I have ever paid for a piece of gear, used.

I know I see many trash CS and honestly I don't have enough experience with them. On the other hand, Sadowskys get raved about and I have played 5 of them and wasn't overly impressed with them. YMMV and its your money.

eigentone and Mantis Tobaggan like this.
  14. Ironbar

Ironbar Inactive

Aug 24, 2013
    Tigard, Oregon
    Zero is a number. I will go with zero as my answer to OP's original question.

15. tbz

tbz

Jun 28, 2013
    California
    About 4K US.

IMG_0775.JPG

16. Session1969

Session1969 Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2010
    It simply comes down to what you can afford, doesn't it ?

17. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I found a CS Jazz relic that was (IMHO) better than any Jazz I had at the time, better (IMHO) than the newer MIA's I have known well, and better than what I remember my old '68 Jazz to have been. I parted with a good '69 P-bass and cash for what I still find to be an exceptional instrument. I don't remember the price details, though they are posted somewhere in my initial review of my CS Jazz relic.

I played it and played it. It took a few days, but I made a deal I am still happy with a couple years later. It is still my #1 ever passive 4-string. It is not an investment. I don't care about resale. I will play it as long as I am able. It could have been a new MIA, a Nash, a Lakland, whatever. It isn't. It is what it is. I love the way it sounds and feels, and I found a way to afford it. I hope everyone finds a bass they like this much and can afford. CS? Who cares? It's about music.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    eigentone, Mantis Tobaggan and Midak like this.
  18. Midak

Midak

Sep 4, 2011
    Athens, Greece
    I am really curious on the number of people here that have indeed played a Fender CS and found it not better than the regular production Fenders.
    If you are after a vintage-feeling passive Fender bass, they can't be beaten. The NAV line is close, but I give CS an edge ahead. And I have tried both before deciding to order mine. Plus the fact that you have a lot of options to choose for your personal bass if you follow the CS route.

Price increase is not proportional to quality increase; it's close to exponential.

Jim Carr likes this.
  19. lbbc

lbbc

Sep 25, 2007
    Seaford , DE
    I never think of resale when buying a bass. I bought an Alembic Persuader over 10 years ago from a guy who needed money...yeah, I got it cheap but I knew that's the only way I could afford one.
    I had a custom Dave Pushic made for under $1600 and it's everything I wanted in a custom...32" scale, woods, electronics, lights, inlays, hardware...you name it.
    I just can't justify any bass over $1600 as a weekend warrior.

20. interp

interp

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    One million dollars.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021