What price will you pay for a Custom Shop bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ChainGang70, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Ace Of Bass

Ace Of Bass A Rooster Illusion

Jun 27, 2006
    DC
    How do you figure that..?

eigentone likes this.
  2. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    Because they typically sell for less than they are new. I don't know why everyone seems intent on making money from bass guitars. Stocks and bonds seem like a better option for that goal.

3. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    I'm just being a wise-a here, but do you work for Fender? LOL!!!!! I believe the price of gear in general is based on what someone thinks the Market will bear.

Ace Of Bass likes this.
  4. DrayMiles

DrayMiles

Feb 24, 2007
    East Coast
    I'm not sure... I just purchased a nice old French bass in disrepair and to make it playable again will cost me upwards of $10,000 ... Minimum... I suspect it's worth it...

I'll post some stuff after the smoke clears and the check appears... So to speak. :)

5. DrayMiles

DrayMiles

Feb 24, 2007
    East Coast
    From what I've seen at Sotheby's and other under the cover deals I've been privy to... He is spot on... If it isn't American, regarding Fender or Gibson anyway, it isn't "valuable." For that market anyway... The American stuff is desired most definitely...

6. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    Who me? Lol no

phillybass101 likes this.
  7. Ace Of Bass

Ace Of Bass A Rooster Illusion

Jun 27, 2006
    DC
    No I get that the American stuff is more likely to appreciate, I wasn't sure what he meant by it needing to be like a Pro series, but I think I get it, although I would think it would have to be built more like an AVRI... I've seen people take baths on many a Custom Classic..

DrayMiles and Son of Wobble like this.
  8. Right. He's talking about the Fender American Professional Jazz:

9. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    Don't create no problem, won't be no problem.
    5.5 K for a USA Spector NS4 Frettless. Quilt Maple, EMG X pups, 18 volt Haz preamp, Bahama Blue Matte, Pau Ferro lined fretboard, 9.5 inch radius fret-board (the 1st ever done by Spector), 3 piece maple neck thru, with carbon stringers in the neck.(Such detail on the tome, it is awesome)

She took 6 months to get, but plays like greased lightening. And the NS body are the most amazing basses I have ever played as far as feel and comfort. Been a Spector Neck thru player for a while, but this was the 1st time I ever had the build to my requirements. And love the NS4 USA Spectors (in fact I own two others).

She is strung with Labella Purple Haze Tape wounds. And has a sound all her own.
    1047 NS4.jpg
    NS4 new knobs a.jpg
    NS4 1047 e.jpg
    NS4 1047 j.jpg
    NS4 new knobs c.jpg NS4 new knobs c.jpg

superdick2112 likes this.
  10. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    CS basses, and particularly relics, have a mojo that can't be defined. I feel the magic, and others may not. My next big bass purchase will be a CS relic. I also completely get it if someone says -waste of money.

Mantis Tobaggan likes this.
  11. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    Don't create no problem, won't be no problem.
    Just call PJ with USA Spector and place an order to your specifications. (they will do almost whatever you want) You'll have to wait about 6 months. but get a bass like no other in the world; and it will be the best playing bass you have ever owned, bar none. USA Spectors Rule.

12. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    My Spector NS-4 represents one of the best purchases I've ever made.
    Yes, I'd lose a big chunk of money if I were to sell it, but I don't buy basses as financial investments - I buy them as sonic investments.

Spector in sunlight 001.JPG

Eddie LeBlanc likes this.
  13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021