1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what pro do you play like?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by davec, Mar 18, 2008.

1. davec

davec Supporting Member Commercial User

May 4, 2006
    bartlett illinois
    Owner; Cody Electric Basses
    I'm not refering to style, I mean physically. As in how you hold the bass, where, how many fingers, thumb ect?

Once you figure this out have you ever studied that persons style?

I'm a cross of Mark King and Gary Willis, although I can't play llike either one of them. ( I really wish I did) I really found that a Willis technique study, has really helped me evaluate what I do and helped me improve my playing ( again although nothing like King or Willis)

2. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    A less low-slung Peter Hook.

3. Time Consumer

Time Consumer

Jan 27, 2008
    Joliet Ill.
    I mostly have my own style(as far as I know), but if i had to name someone, I kinda emulate Ryan Martine from mudvayne, but just his slapping style of slapping with his fingers instead of his thumb cuz it seems easier to me.

4. Traver

Traver

Sep 25, 2007
    I play a lot like John Myung, he holds his bass a bit higher, though.

5. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Tom Morello.

6. Sgt Floyd Pepper

7. Cliff Burton. I started learning bass by watching the Cliff 'Em All video for reference. I got his style down pat, right down to the straight pinky on his right hand and the less than perfect fretting on the left :)

More recently I've been studying the Gary Willis techniques for efficient playing here:

Not that I will ever play as good as Alexis does!!

8. pete wentz

9. mine is pretty much my own in alot of styles of paying but my main slap work is like flea's from the chili peppers

10. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I wear my bass just a tad lower than Billy Dickens. I play more along the lines of a seriously doped up Sid Viscious though.

11. falstro

falstro Good Bassists Don't Forget Anything

Geddy Lee. Wish I could sound like him, though.

12. Lon86

Lon86

Jan 21, 2008
    Venice, CA
    Geezer Butler...

:bassist:

13. p-nut95

p-nut95

May 27, 2007
    Philadelphia
    I would say my style is kinda like a Flea/Dirk Lance/P-nut sorta style. Although I sling my axe a bit higher than all three. Especially Flea.

14. the flannel i wear, bass between my heart and gut i sing and jump around and play, and currently sport a decent bit of stubble beard

I think I'd look a lot like a young mike watt

15. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    like me'shell, slung a teeny bit lower. she just always looks so damn cool....wish i could play like her...

16. reverb508

reverb508

Jan 6, 2008
    I've been told I play like Steve Harris because we have a similar right hand attack. I'm trying to correct that though because it causes a lot of extraneous noise (ie: clicking, fret noise).

17. neuromancer

neuromancer

Apr 28, 2005
    CT, USA
    John Entwistle - although that was someone else's opinion. I don't think that's entirely accurate...even though I wish it was. ;)

18. I wear it up high a la Stephan Lessard or Wooten. The first time I tried it as a joke, it was like a light went off.. "that is comfy! I will keep it there." I have lowered it about 3 inches or so since.

19. There is nothing pro about the way I play.

20. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    My physical playing style does not noticeably resemble any famous bass player.

I started as a genuine lefty playing a normal bass right handed and I played for quite a few years without any real instruction and without copying any other bassist.

Other people say my playing style looks unnatural and weird.