what pro tools for me

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by warwickben, Jul 15, 2002.

1. i have the chance to get a copy of any version of pro tooll for the pc from a freind.he told me to tell him what one i want and he'll get me it.i know there a pro tools version that you need like tons of gear to use .what pro tools programe can you use with a normal pc with out buying a lot of gear.i dont know really how to ask this.
  2. with Protools LE (which is free) you can record using just your regular POS soundcard... it doesn't work on winXP though.
  3. so the le is good.can you just use kazaa to down load the plugins.

what is in it, what can you do with it?not the plugins were can i get iut i tried the le awhile ago on kazaa and it didnt work.
  4. i downloaded le and my brother was installing it it says you need 128mb and i got 64mb.my brother is the typ of person would would tell me this just so he wouldnt have to install it .do u really need 128mb. if so is there a pro tools i can use.
  5. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    You can use the Protools free which is offered on the www.digidesign.com page.

Check out the specs before you download, if they say they need 128mb, than that´s that, no way getting around it.

With ProTools Digi001 LE 512mb of ram are recommended. If I recall correctly, you can only use 8 tracks with the free version of ProTools.

All the other packages need hardware which is included when you buy it.
  6. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    If you use KaZaA anyway, there are better alternatives than ProTools.

And you can't expect do get any real audio work done with 64 MB RAM. You're welcome to try, though.
  7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    All LE and Free versions of PT are nothing like the real thing. A pain to install and to work with IMO.

I stick with Cubase SX and Nuendo. At least I have ASIO and VST - and they work like a charm on XP.
  8. I thought if you bought the Digi 001 you got 24 tracks of ProTools, as opposed to the 8 you get w/ProTools free?
  9. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    You get 24 tracks with Digi001. My drummer just bought it :)
  10. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I couldn't get Pro Tools Free to work at all-deleted it and staying with tape.
  11. Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    If I'm not mistaken the only version of Pro Tools that you can get to work without buying hardware is Pro Tools Free. I've heard reports of PTFree not doing to so well on Windows machines though. Like it was said above, this has an 8 track limit.

*EDIT* Icez, tell your drummer that Digidesign has put a beta version of PTLE online that allows for 32 tracks instead of 24. I know it works on a Mac, and I'm pretty sure Win XP has gotten this upgrade, but I'm not sure about anything below XP. It's worth checking out though.
  12. Add another person who doesn't really like PTFree. Couldn't get a decent audio stream running on my Win98, SBLive! etc. PC.

warwickben - I'd recommend Cubasis or Cakewalk Homestudio 2002 (Sonar-alike) to get you started. Inexpensive and they do all the good stuff you'd expect. HS2002 has unlimited audio and midi tracks as well as DXi instruments. Pro Tools is great if you want to use the extra-high quality effects. But to be honest, will you really be able to tell the difference?? I wouldn't... (on my home PC).

Edit: 'Scuse me, I'm a complete muppet. I have 128Mb RAM on my PC not 64Mb RAM. Ignore the statement I may or may not have made about 64Mb being enough. 128Mb is what you need. Along with dedication... :)
  13. engramic

Jul 9, 2002
    It's been a long time since I heard anything of Pro Tools Free, but for PC's, there was an issue with any motherboard that had a Via chipset. Generally, I hear so many problems with it that I never bothered looking at it.

CS... please don't let that experience deter you from digital audio... it's not all like that, and there are so many beautiful advantages :)
  14. maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I have both Protools Hd (new version of TDM) and protools LE in my studio. I must say there is a big difference between the two systems. You get what you pay for so to speak. I would not waste any of my time with protools free though... Nuendo and cubase might work for you... they don't work for me. There is a new patch out on digidesign's webpage for windows XP. It is very convenient to use two partitions on your computer, and only use protools LE in the windows 98 partition. Some programs cause conflicts with protools LE and two partitions takes care of that problem.
    If you have any questions feel free to mail me... Make sure you buy the D-fi plugin kit. It is very cool :)
  15. I use Nuendo and am quite happy with it. I use it with a Delta TDIF audio card for 8 track 24 bit interface with one of our Tascam DA78HRs and a Midiman USB sync box. Nuendo has no problems controlling the outboard hardware and I can use the Tascam as a D/A converter for line ins if I want.
    Plus all the plugins are great for mastering in Wavelab as well.
    Also, I thought the Pro Tools LE was no longer offered for free!
    Wounded Paw
  16. I'm buying Protools 5.1 LE off my mate, but hear that it doesn't work on XP. If this is the case does anyone know which program it's best to run it on???
  17. JeffBarnett

Sep 26, 2002
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    There are many different variations of Pro Tools out there. First of all, you should know that none of them (except for Pro Tools Free) work with any hardware other than Digidesign's own.

Second, Digidesign doesn't "sell" the Pro Tools software. They only sell hardware / software bundles. The software by itself is technically free (don't bother downloading it though, since it won't work with any hardware but theirs).

Here are the various packages available:

•Pro Tools Free - Free download from www.digidesign.com, limited to 8 tracks. Uses most common sound cards, but is not actively supported by Digidesign, and does not currently run on XP.

•MBox - 2 in/2 out analog + 2 in/2out digital interface connected to USB port. Comes with Pro Tools LE software, 32 audio tracks. Runs on Mac OS9, Windows XP. $449.97 street price

•Digi001 - 8 in/8 out analog + 10 in/out digital interface with a PCI card which installs in the computer. Comes with Pro Tools LE, 32 tracks, Mac OS9, Windows XP, $849.97 street price

•Digi002 (brand new, started shipping this week) - same specs as the Digi001, but has an integrated control surface with 8 faders, 8 knobs, 8 scribble strips, transport control, shortcut buttons to access every Pro Tools feature, plus a MIDI interface. Records at up to 96 kHz / 24 bit. Also works as a standalone digital mixer with effects when unplugged from the computer. Street price $2195.00

•Pro Tools TDM - The professional version. Suffice it to say that this is the Pro Tools the big boys use. If you are seriously considering a TDM system, you should be talking with a certified system designer. The price tag on a TDM system is $10k and up for the current models.

Some other questions I saw mentioned:
    He's not much of a mate if he doesn't sell you the required hardware, too. The current version of Pro Tools LE is a free download and DOES support XP. As I mentioned earlier, it won't work without the right hardware.

32 tracks now.

The minimum for systems I spec is 256. 128 will work on most machines, but 256 is recommended.

I hope this helps clear the mud a little bit. If you have any questions, feel free to email me at Jeff_Barnett@sweetwater.com or call me at 1-800-222-4700, ext. 1283.

-Jeff Barnett
    Sweetwater Sound
  18. Thanks for the reply Jeff. He's selling me the Digi001 Protools 5.1 LE package, and it will be coming with the required hardware. My query was whether or not 5.1 LE, i.e. the older version, is compatable with XP (I've since found out it's not). In any case he'll be getting the 5.3 upgrade for me, which as you state does support XP.