Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what products can i use to clean my esp body

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by grogsi, Dec 6, 2005.

1. grogsi

grogsi

Oct 2, 2005
    Just wondering what the best cleaning products for the body of a new esp would be it seems to have the same quality as car paint on them i was just wondering what the best product would be to use?

2. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Any music store should stock a range of guitar polishes. Guitar paint is not the same as car paint though, I wouldn't go using Zaino or Maguires on your bass.

3. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Pick up some Lizard Spit. I've only been using it recently, but it seems like great stuff.

4. Matt H

Matt H

Jul 30, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    naptha (sp?) was often recommended for cleaning stuff up... same as pocket lighter-fluid, no?

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Dunlop 65.

6. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    I have found Gibson guitar polish to be my favorite. It cleans nicely, and buffs to a nice shine. It also has traces of laquer in it, so it fills small scratches. Naptha works great on any finish for tough problems like sticker residue and hardened grime. It evaporates quickly, so it doesn't hurt anything.
    Oh, and.....guitar finishes....for the most part ARE the same as car finishes. The primers and sealers are sometimes different, but the topcoat is almost always urethane or polyester. Nitros and acrylics WERE car finishes in their day as well.
    Corey

7. petie-b

petie-b

Aug 24, 2005
    orlando, florida
    ive heard a lot of people talking about cleaning thier pride and joy (bass) with naptha........

....my status is looking very dis-coloured and grimey from being in a smokey environment. i can only assume its niccotine staining and is not a good look for this bass. :crying:

any suggestions how i can clean it would be greatly appreciated. :confused: