Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What PU, electronics, and wood combination?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by arvidgunardi, Mar 30, 2001.

1. This is a question regarding people's preferences of combinations for their ideal bass. I've just ordered a 4 string fretless made for me. It includes a mahogany body, Koa top, maple neck with rosewood multilaminate wood, ebony finger board and bolt on. Even without the PU and electronics, what do you guys think of the wood combination? And what are your favourite PU and electronis...even for fretted.

2. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    I would go with barts on this one.

Never thought about that kind of bass - just sounds like Alembic to me.

I would prefer Ash or Maple Bodys with All Maple Necks (maybe Ebony FGB if I want a dark one), quilted Maple top, and fretted. Throw EMGs in there and you`ve got the perfekt rock / metal axe.

David

3. Actually you're right, the wood choice is abit based on my Alembic Rogue that also has the mahogany body.....but maple top. It also has the maple neck...but without the rosewood lamination. Ebony fingerboard. I was also thinking of going with BArts. But which model though? My original thought was to use a soapbar for the bridge PU and a Jazz Pu on the neck; so that the bridge PU is more dominant.

4. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    Hey,

I would go J/J, SoapBar / SoapBar or J / MM.

I don`t know much about the bart models, I usually play EMG.

David

5. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    Mahogany body is midrangey, alder is best for fretless. Single splitable MM p.u. is enough , plus piezo bridge p.u. Bart or S.D., see www.fbass.com ,
    some nice basses for idea there.