Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What pup come closest to the MusicMan sound?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassman1185, Jun 4, 2001.

1. I was kind of toying with the idea of getting a Carvin body and neck and building my own bass from sratch. I LOVE the MM sound, but I can't afford a "real" StingRay. So I'm looking for whatever comes closest to replicating that sound. If you're going to say something to the effect of "if you want a musicman sound, you have to buy a musicman" don't respond. I know it's probably true, but I don't want to hear it. It also has to be available in a five string version, too.

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The pup guru at Bass Central said either of the Bartolini MM's sound very aggressive and punchy, like the original. (I've got one to order).

I imagine the Basslines does too. People seem happy with those.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    This IMO is a much more preferable alternative to building a kit...unless you want the experience.

The Kingston is a steal.

4. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Basslines by Seymour Duncan has a MM replacement pup now that looks just like the original (with the large pole pieces, etc.). Can't remember the price, but I remember thinking it sounded like a good deal. I'm sure that would do the trick nicely in terms of tone and would probably be less than the Bart.

5. I have played the Kingston, and I really liked it, but I want a little more verstility. After my first bass, a p-bass ripoff, I'm through with one-sound-wonders. I know that If I did get a Kingston, that i'd end up putting a preamp on, and even then I'd still just have variations on one sound.

6. I'm just the opposite. As long as I have a good sound happening, I can play it all night long.

7. bleachstained

bleachstained

Apr 22, 2001
    The Seymour Duncan Basslines replacement was somewhere around $180 - Carvin has one that looks about the same but you probably can't get the right tone for $90.

8. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    Another option is to get a Musicman copy bass and replace the pick ups with Seymour Duncan. It would probably cost under $400.00. The Carvin MM humbucker will not give you the sound that you are looking for and you can find a Seymour Duncan online cheaper than the Carvin pick up. Another TalkBass member mentioned that he had a Musicman copy with a good pick up and that it sounded great.

9. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Another option is to look for a used G&L 1505 - I have a Climax and it's pretty darn close to a Stingray with controls similar to a Sterling/Stingray5. A new one is about the same cost as used Stingray (a bit over $800) and a used one would be an equivalent amount less. Riks music (http://www.riksmusic.com) is blowing out their in-stock Musicman basses (I'm not sure why, maybe dropping the line? clearing them out for new stock?) and the prices are the best I've seen for new in a long time. Join their "buyers club" and you can see many of their prices on-line. I've bought from them and they are good to work with.

For straight pickup comparisons take a look at Lakland's pickup comparison page at http://www.lakland.com/html_pages/pickup_comparison.html for their opinion (seems to me that they prefer SD for "real-Musicman" bite IIRC). I also like David King's pickup info page at http://www.teleport.com/~bgs/pickups.html although it doesn't specifically answer your question.

10. bleachstained

bleachstained

Apr 22, 2001
    Hey bassman - project 86 rules! Ever seen them live?

11. Yeah, I did see them about a month and a half ago on the first show of the Your New Empire tour. They have by far the best live show I've ever seen. They really get the crowd going. Living Sacrifice and Stavesacre were both good too. I'd seen LS before, and they totally sucke the first time. Now I see why they have such a passionate fan base.

12. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I hear Carvin has can imitate musicmans pretty well

13. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

The preamp is the big sound in the musicman, the pick-up is two pickups, get a used stingray and be done with it. you can find a used stingray on e-bay or check out bass central

14. bleachstained

bleachstained

Apr 22, 2001
    Dude, I saw the show in Indianapolis. I personally thought Stavesacre was the best with Project in 2nd. I guess maybe I was sort of tired by the time of their set, but it was still awesome. I can't wait to hear the recording of their new song spyhunter that they played at the show.

15. I know what you mean about being tired towards the end of the show. Most of the time I mosh untill I can't breath (usually a whopping 45 seconds :D), then rest, mosh, rest and so on. I still had the energy to get into the pit for Project, though.

16. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Before you consider Carvin as an alternative to a MM, I suggest you snoop around Carvin's board for a while. That's where the true Carvin junkies hang out and you can get a lot of dope on Carvin. If there is one thing that nearly everyone agrees on, it is that the Carvin MM style PU is junk. I have seen countless post to the fact and I can't say that I recall a single post ranting its praise.

I played a real Stingray about two weeks ago with a SD basslines PU in it. I liked it. The sound was a little thicker than a regular MM. I actually liked it better.

Chas

17. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I was also considering geting a Carvin B4 w/ active/passive, and the HB2 in the bridge position, then changing out the pups and putting either Basslines or Bartlini pups in there. If I do this would I have to buy a preamp or could I just hook it up to the existing controls? If I do this would I be able to use the same pickups in the passive mode, or could I only use the bass in active mode. I know very little about pickups and would like to have a bass with MM type sounds and also be able to get some J Bass sounds too. I also want the MM pup to be like the Sterling controls w/ a 3 way switch.

dirk

18. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    If you want both stingray and jazzbass tones try the Basslines three band EQ. It has a slap contour buillt into the volume knob,if you pull up on the knob it has a scooped midrange and boosted lows and high like a Musicman and if you push the knob down the midrange is boosted,similar to a jazz bass. I have this ppreamp in mmy Warwick FNA and I love it. The whole setup would probably cost you over $200.00.