Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what pup for Moving Pictures tone?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Phat Ham, Jul 20, 2002.

1. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I have a MIM Squier Jazz that I'm thinking of getting new pups and a bridge for. I really like the tone that Geddy Lee gets on the moving pictures album. Does anyone know what kind of pups would get me close to that? As far as I know he used a stock '72 jazz on that album, so would maybe Lindy Fralins or Fender Custom shop '60s pups be a good choice?

2. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    You picked an excellent tone to shoot for(one of my faves too)! You'll probably want some stock Fenders to put in there. The tone sounds passive, due to the fact that when Geddy digs in there is some overdrive from the strings, although there is also overdive coming from the amp as well. Its a tube amp with the preamp gain hitting the power section pretty hard. Factor in the percussiveness of Geddys' attack and you have a warm, crunchy tone that cuts...think intro to "Red Barchetta". An active pickup would be too clean to match the "dirt" that is essential to his tone.