Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What pup for my new BB300

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wyleeboxer, Dec 22, 2005.

1. wyleeboxer

wyleeboxer Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Ok I just grabed my 2nd BB300, thier basically Yamaha's version of the Fender P. I love these basses, I put SD 1/4lb pups in my 1st BB300 and it sounds great, the only knock is the high G and D string notes dont sing out as well as other P basses b/c of the pups being in a reverse configuaration from a standard Fender P. But overall these basses rip for rock. So my ? is I want to maybe put a Darkstar pup instead of the SD's in my new BB300, but would hate to carve it up and maybe have a sound that doesnt work so well for rock or lacks punch. I gave up on jazz years ago. :) Ive listen to a Darkstar sound clip but cant tell other then it sounds good on its own. So is the Darkstar worth the extra $100 bucks over some SD 1/4lb pup's (or other's), plus routing out the body? I mean are they really worth the hype and are the new golden boy of pick ups?
    Thanks for any info!

2. Well, I have a couple of BBs, a 3000S and an 1100S, and think they sound just great as they are. I had a QP in a P bass a while back, and it was a fantastic rock pickup with masses of power, but really, I prefer the punch of the Yamaha pups. I play in a heavy rock band, and both basses sound great as they are, in fact people have commented on how good they sound. I don't know if the BB300 pup is the same one in my BB3000S, but if it is, I'd leave it in.

3. wyleeboxer

wyleeboxer Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Thanks Russjm! Well they look the same but I think the BB300 are different? Thier light as a feather, look and feel cheap, and dont sound all that great to my ear. I agree with SD 1/4lb assesment, fully rockin pups for sure. I just dont know if the Darkstar pup is worth the extra money and work?
    Thanks again though!

4. I don't reckon you can beat a SD QP as a P bass replacement, especially for rock, I think the Darkstar is good too, but given a choice, I'd take the QP.