What pups would sound good in this bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by L-1329, Feb 3, 2006.

1. L-1329

Aug 8, 2004
    I have a little Steinie Spirit five string, and have decided to do a pup swap to make it sound like I know it can. Now it is supposed to have EMG Selects in it, but I am not sure. The EMG website doesn't have any info on Selects, and these ones also do not have the EMG logo printed on the pickup covers. They also seem a little narrow for a five string. The ruler says that they are 3 1/8" by 1 7/16", mounted in mounting rings. Anyway, it is a maple neck through with tiny maple body sides. I really want to make this thing sound better, so do any of you have any recommendations of what would fit those dimensions, or sound good in this thing? I am no opposed to having it routed, though I would like to find something that would drop in. Being as narrow as it is though that may be tough. Also, the string spread at the bridge is 2 5/8". If I could determine what pickups these are it would make the research easier. As always, I appreciate any input!
  2. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    The original (graphite) Steinberger used an EMG P type pickup in a guitar pickup sized/shaped package. IIRC the Spirit 5's have a similar arrangement as the spacing is still quite narrow, but I think parallel bar magnets. Unless you try some guitar pickups, and some of them work very well for bass, then I think your options are going to be very limited.

If I were you, I'd get it routed for the EMG35 size, 3.5" x 1.75" which is not much larger than you already have, and will give you a much larger selection of pickups.
  3. L-1329

Aug 8, 2004
    Yeah, I think that routing this out to a normal bass size would give me the best options. I will probably have to go with a four string pup though, but the EMG35 shape would have more coverage than the pups on it now. I am also thinking that a blade style pup may be better, since I'm sure no four string pups with pole pieces would match up well with the narrow five strings. Looks like I need to check into some Barts...