Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What pups would sound good in this bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by L-1329, Feb 3, 2006.

1. L-1329

L-1329

Aug 8, 2004
    I have a little Steinie Spirit five string, and have decided to do a pup swap to make it sound like I know it can. Now it is supposed to have EMG Selects in it, but I am not sure. The EMG website doesn't have any info on Selects, and these ones also do not have the EMG logo printed on the pickup covers. They also seem a little narrow for a five string. The ruler says that they are 3 1/8" by 1 7/16", mounted in mounting rings. Anyway, it is a maple neck through with tiny maple body sides. I really want to make this thing sound better, so do any of you have any recommendations of what would fit those dimensions, or sound good in this thing? I am no opposed to having it routed, though I would like to find something that would drop in. Being as narrow as it is though that may be tough. Also, the string spread at the bridge is 2 5/8". If I could determine what pickups these are it would make the research easier. As always, I appreciate any input!

2. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    The original (graphite) Steinberger used an EMG P type pickup in a guitar pickup sized/shaped package. IIRC the Spirit 5's have a similar arrangement as the spacing is still quite narrow, but I think parallel bar magnets. Unless you try some guitar pickups, and some of them work very well for bass, then I think your options are going to be very limited.

If I were you, I'd get it routed for the EMG35 size, 3.5" x 1.75" which is not much larger than you already have, and will give you a much larger selection of pickups.

3. L-1329

L-1329

Aug 8, 2004
    Yeah, I think that routing this out to a normal bass size would give me the best options. I will probably have to go with a four string pup though, but the EMG35 shape would have more coverage than the pups on it now. I am also thinking that a blade style pup may be better, since I'm sure no four string pups with pole pieces would match up well with the narrow five strings. Looks like I need to check into some Barts...