1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what pups?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jordan_frerichs, Mar 15, 2008.

1. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    planing the pup combo for my build. i want a sound good for punk and slap especialy, and other things as well. i use a pick a lot of the time, but i am working on slap plaing cause it is really fun. what is your opinion? also i was wanting to try putting in a series parralel switch, not for sure though.
    so far i was thinking a mm and neck j, or somethink like that. if i go for this, what would be the best j pup style to provide a good range, but centered around my major playing styles, a traditional j pup style, nordstrand fat stacks, or norrdstand big singles? other? do i want the mm and j to compliment each other as opposites, or be close to eachothers sound? the nordstand only come as sets, so i can route my vm squier p for tthe spair bridge pup.
    another thought was a mmp with the mm in the sweet spot, and the p moved slightly back. so what should i do?

2. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Lineā„¢ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    from the styles you want to cover, it sounds like what you really need is simply a great sounding P-bass

all the best,

R

3. 2lim

2lim

Feb 25, 2007
    I play similarly to you, and I play a franken-wick bass(warwick neck on home made body) and I use a Bartolini MM style pickup, a little closer to the neck than the MM "sweet spot" and I can pretty much get any tone out of it that I want. I am definitely a huge fan of the MM humbucker, and would suggest it for you!

Simon

4. Grantrudd

Grantrudd

Jun 26, 2007
    Boston MA
    +1 for MM pup. by what you said, you pretty much want a tone like flea, and flea used a MM in his earlier days, and his new modulus is very similar to a MM, with the same pickup in the same spot.

5. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    yea, i just found a few sound samples of the jmm combo. miss the precision punch. going pmm definately. mm in sweet spot, p moved slightly back, and touching the mm